Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

• 1.  Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-06-2019 22:00
    I need to prepare a bunch of reports for executives as part of a quarterly meeting. They are built but require various dynamic filters and the ability to be compiled to one area vs execs searching for multiple reports. Any way to do this or best practices others are using?

Each report also has some different views based on who gets it so it's not even five of the same. Real pain manually.

------------------------------
    Ivan Weiss

• 2.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-06-2019 22:18
    Would it be a solution if you could have a dashboard full of a whole bunch of reports and be able to globally apply the same filters to that set of reports all at once?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-07-2019 07:38
    That could work.  But I guess the question is the group of reports are all coming from different tables.  The filter is the same though and it is a user based filter.  So the question is, could you do that?  I think one dashboard page with 9 reports on it is a bit tough to read (I prefer one report per page and a multi page report) but to save myself from this manual screenshot game I am playing I would go with it.

Ivan Weiss

• 4.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-07-2019 08:02
    There is a way to do this, and all native, and the technique can work across multiple tables. But I think we would need to do this together on a Go To Meeting screen sharing session.  Contact me off line if you would like one on one assistance setting this up.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-09-2019 10:14
    Eloyse Ellerman shared an app on the exchange that utilizes a filtered report on a dashboard to apply the filter selection to all of the reports on the dashboard and only show data for the current user. Here is a link:

Dynamic Dashboard

She starts with three related tables, a circular relationship between departments and filters and one department to many activities:

The filters table is a list of users associated to departments:

She creates a 'User Filter' summary field in the one departments to many filters relationship:

She sets the proxy field to department and only summarizes data where user is current user:

Then she add the 'User Filter' field as a lookup in the one filter to many departments relationship:

Next she does a lookup on the lookup in the one departments to many activities relationship:

Finally she applies filters to the dashboard reports where department is equal to the value in the lookup of the lookup:

IIt's pretty slick. You might be able to use this for your needs allowing the Exec's to just navigate to a dashboard and see what they need to see with little additional effort.

Adam Keever

• 6.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-09-2019 16:36
    Thanks Mark and Adam for the answers!  Going to play with this a bit to see if it can work.

I think I need to fix one other thing I built early on in the app preventing this idea from working right.  But its a pain now for a long term fix so worth the effort.  I also saw a video from Kirk about this type of thing so it looks like filtered dashboards is not such a big deal, phew!

Ivan Weiss

• 7.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-11-2019 16:44
    Check out this video by Kirk Trachy:

Dynamic Executive Dashboard

Adam Keever

• 8.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-11-2019 17:31
    Thx Adam,

Kirk seemed to skip the step as to how that focus company gets passed up to the Target Company record.  When I implement this technique, I usually do it based off a table of Users so that concurrent users can have their own respective focus and not interfere with each other.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-12-2019 12:14
    I know. I am planning to join one of his open office hour sessions and ask about it. Maybe in the next week or two.

I like the sound of that. How does the table of Users allow you to set-up that functionality Mark?

Adam Keever

• 10.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-12-2019 12:32
    My typical implementation starts with a single record ID# 1 on the single record single record on the Dashboard.

It is connected to all Users in the Users table.  The purpose is simply to auto create the user if they do not exist ad in this case i land the user on the user focus record where they make their selections for their Focus.  if you somehow know that you have Users created in this table then you don't need this step.

//Edit or Create a User Record for the Current User (remember to set permissions in the //User focus table)
    //Set Key Field of user foicus table to userid
    //User Exists - true!

//Remember to set permissions

var text AddUser = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_USER_FOCUS] & "?act=API_AddRecord"
    & "&apptoken=b6rmtc2cyphwcvd4x6ur8cr3d6rd"
    & "&_fid_6=" & ToText(User());

var text EditUser = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_USER_FOCUS] & "?a=er"
    & "&apptoken=b6rmtc2cyphwcvd4x6ur8cr3d6rd"
    & "&key=" & ToText(User());

var text DisplaySelectDateForm = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_USER_FOCUS]
    & "?a=er&key=" & ToText(User())
    & "&dfid=10";

var text CompareDashboard = URLRoot() & "db/" & AppID() & "?a=showpage&pageid=3";

If([# of User Focus Records for the Current User]=1, $DisplaySelectDateForm
    & "&NEXTURL=" & URLEncode($CompareDashboard),

$AddUser
    & "&rdr=" & URLEncode($DisplaySelectDateForm)
    & URLEncode("&NextURL=" & URLEncode($CompareDashboard)))

But then the magic is that because the Key field is User, that means that i can have a relationship to any other tables using a field called [Current User] with a formula of 

User()

to look up my Focus values - say Record ID# of Focus Project.

Then filter all Dashboard reports where [Record ID] of the project = Record ID# of Focus Project.

Depending on the user case one could also launch off a report of all project to set the user focus with an API to either Edit or create the Userid with that Focus and ten land the user say on a dashboard with a whole set of reports pertinent to the Focus Project.

Of course in a different use case, maybe the Focus is on a Sales Branch or a Product Category or both, to then have a whole standard set of dashboard reports filtered on some branch(es) and some Product Categories.  So the sales manager might want to see everything for their own Branch, and the Product Manager may want the filter for all Branches but just their own product categories.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-12-2019 12:37
    Thanks for sharing.

Adam Keever

• 12.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-13-2019 12:47
    I know this is genius (like everything you do) but I can't wrap my mind around it in order to implement it.  *sad face*

Blanca Anderson

• 13.  RE: Preparing Quarterly Reports for Executives

Posted 12-13-2019 12:54
    Well, I can help you quickly if you want to contact me for a short one on one session to get this working, or else slowly as time allows on this forum.  If the latter, you would ned to state what you are wanting to do.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com