Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Sending a Notification to a Dynamic List of Users

• 1.  Sending a Notification to a Dynamic List of Users

Posted 06-01-2019 11:40
    I have a master table "Projects" and a child table "Discussion Board" which includes fields for a title, description, status (open/closed), and due date.  I am going to create another child table for Discussion Board titled comments.

The intent is that someone can post a topic in the discussion board about a project so that the project team gets an alert.  We can continue to leave it open until everything is resolved by our team and it is marked closed.

Everytime a comment is posted or a new discussion board is created I want to alert the entire project team.  This could be 2 people, this could be 7 people and it changes for each project.

The parent Projects Table already has a field for "Internal Email List" which is taking the users assigned to the project and combining via a text field with the email addresses.  But I cannot reference that in the child record....  My thought was to use an automation to copy that over to a field in the child table...  But I cannot use that in the built in notification system.

So I am a bit stumped on how to do this....

• 2.  RE: Sending a Notification to a Dynamic List of Users

Posted 06-01-2019 13:18
    The users on the Project team should be combined into a listuser field type by formula.

I believe the syntax is

ToUserList(
    [Project team member 1 userid],
    [Project team member 2 userid],
    [Project team member 3 userid],
    [Project team member 4 userid])

Then just look that up down to the child table and use it in an email notification.