Getting Started

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

• 1.  How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

Posted 05-27-2021 15:43
    Brand spanking new to QB. I am an admin, but I can't seem to figure out how to view pages in non settings/edit mode so I can test the functionality of things. In the Settings mode, the functionality (i.e. drilldowns, searches etc.) don't work. I don't know how to get there as just to view the page as a user would. 

There has to be a simple solution to this but have not found it by searching. 

Thanks

------------------------------
    Russell Hanson

• 2.  RE: How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page
    Best Answer

Posted 05-27-2021 16:04
    There are a few ways to see Home Pages.

1. One way to view pages is to make links on your Application Home Page to link to other home pages.

2. or you can go to the URL of your app and edit the URL like this

https://mycompany.quickbase.com/db/bgf7xxx?a=showpage&ID=6

where 6 is the number of your page

3. or you can go to the list of pages and at the right there is an icon to preview the page.

4. or you can take notes of which Roles are set to which Home Pages and then do a "Test as Role".

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

Posted 05-27-2021 17:06
    Appreciate it Mark. Looks like I don't have access for number 4.

For number 3, it works but is a pop up window. Not really what I am looking for.

For number 2, can't change the app URL and wouldn't if I could. This is a massive app for our entire department that was just migrated and set up by your guys.

For number 1, going to try that but hopefully it won't open up in a pop up window like the Preview does.

BTW, can't believe I missed that Preview button before in the Pages settings.

Again, thanks for the help. I imagine I will be keeping you guys busy in the immediate future :)​

Russell Hanson

• 4.  RE: How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

Posted 05-27-2021 17:15
    Just FYI. It seem like I answer a lot of the questions on this Forum so I must be a Quickbase employee but in fact I'm an  independent Quickbase Solution Provider (QSP) who has a debilitating addiction to this Forum.

As for changing the URL, I just meant to override the URL that you see and hand edit it.  The App's native URL for each page is what it is and cannot be changed.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

Posted 05-27-2021 17:17
    For #4, "Test as Role", if you click  your name at the top right, you should see an option for Test as Role and Test as User.​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

Posted 05-27-2021 17:32
    The link doesn't work. Test as Role does, but takes me to whatever the Page is for that Role. I don't have anybody currently in that Role I am building for right now, which is pretty much my root issue here. Like I said, Preview works but I I don't like the pop up, I want a normal view while I test. 

What about creating a Test User and assigning to a new Role and then linking to the Page? Then I could just go in and change the Page as I work on the different Dashboards? I can make the URL button as well, I haven't done that yet. At least I know how to do it to test my stuff, just want the best and fastest way as i am going to be creating a lot of these.

Russell Hanson

• 7.  RE: How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

Posted 05-27-2021 17:39
    If you plan to do a whole bunch of work building different homepages (note that technically now a Home Page is different from a dashboard,  A Dashboard is the New Dashboards that are just being rolled out now) ... anyways you can make a Role for yourself and drag that Role higher than the other roles, and assign your role to use whatever dashboard you are building at the time.  Then you will always be on the Home Page you are working on.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

Posted 05-27-2021 17:51
    That makes sense. I do have a bunch of different Home Pages as well as Dashboards to build. One last question, is it possible to change a Home Page to a Dashboard or vice versa later on?

Russell Hanson

• 9.  RE: How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

Posted 05-27-2021 18:03
    No, there will not be a way to do that.  The New Dashboards are built on completely new and different tools set / technologies and as far as I know there is no migration utility planned as they have much higher priorities to work on for the New Dashboards.​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: How to View Page as Admin without it Being Home Page

Posted 05-27-2021 18:15
    Okay, I will definitely be cognizant of that moving forward. These are the little obvious things that are huge to learn quickly. Appreciate it.

I added a URL button to my Admin home page temporarily so that I can quickly access the Home Page I am working on. Also, the Preview works okay it just takes a little longer. I am good with where I am at. Have a great weekend if I don't hear back from you!

Russell Hanson