Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Auto fill lookup field during creation from child (details) table

Posted 03-16-2017 21:46
    Self profess as a newbie. I have a relationship between to tables (person to call) and there is a text field on the parent that is defined as a lookup. If I add a call from the person record all is good. But - user preference is just click on new call and enter the person id (it is known) and then want the lookup field to automatically populate. Is that possible?

• 2.  RE: Auto fill lookup field during creation from child (details) table

Posted 03-16-2017 23:05
    Yes,
    Go to the setting for the relationship of Person -> Call.

Select the option to "add Lookup Field" then select the desired field from the dropdown of available fields.

Then just position the new lookup field where you'd like

• 3.  RE: Auto fill lookup field during creation from child (details) table

Posted 03-16-2017 23:36
    I think that what David is saying is the the user knows the the Person, they just want to enter type it in and not select from a drop down.

My suggestion is this:

1. Ensure that the key field of the Person table is the person ID.

2. You already have a relationship based on a normal lookup field which is a drop down list.  leave that in place, but get rid of the look up fields on it.

3. Make a new field which is just a numeric field called [Person ID (direct Entry)].

4. Make a formula field called [Related Person (final)] withe formula

IF([[Related Person] > 0, [Related Person], [Person ID (direct Entry)])

Then use that field in a relationship and look up your fields from the Person table.

The effect will be that the user can use either method to get the lookup connected to the Person.

• 4.  RE: Auto fill lookup field during creation from child (details) table

Posted 03-17-2017 13:32
    Actually kind of in between. I am ok with the selection from the drop down but what I need is then when they select, the lookup field would immediately populate. RIght now, it only seems to populate when I click on save and they need to see the information while they are on the call record. So the flow looks lik

1) From a main screen menu click to "Add Call"
    2) Select person ID from drop down
    3) "Doc on file" lookup field gets populated Y/N from the person record into the associated lookup field on the call record

• 5.  RE: Auto fill lookup field during creation from child (details) table

Posted 03-17-2017 13:36
    It is most unusual that the lookup fields do not immediately populate on the form.  If you like you can contact me directly via my contact info at QuickBaseCoach.com and I will have a quick look.

• 6.  RE: Auto fill lookup field during creation from child (details) table

Posted 03-17-2017 15:33
    I spoke to David directly. his one and only lookup field defaulted to be the reference proxy and essentially he ended up with a data entry field for the same field on the form twice. We deselected that reference proxy field and it instantly behaved as a regular lookup field and immediately populated when the Parent record was picked.

• 7.  RE: Auto fill lookup field during creation from child (details) table

Posted 03-17-2017 15:47
    Thanks so much for the resolution