Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

prompt user when new record created

• 1.  prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 14:48
    I'm having a hard time figuring out how to prompt the user with a reminder when a new record is created. 
    i.e. The user creates a record then it prompts them with "Hey guy, you created a new record but now you need to remember to do the other thing" 

• 2.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 16:05
    Hi Garfield,

How are you looking to have this message display after a user saves a new record? Are you looking for a prompt to appear at the top of the form or are you looking for a pop up window message to show up with specific instructions?

• 3.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 16:11
    I guess it wouldn't matter how it is displayed as long as the user will see it and receive the instruction.

• 4.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 16:22
    Garfield,
    Not tested, but a super low tech method would be to have a Formula Rich text field like this.

if([date created]=now(), "<font color=red><b>Hey guy, you created a new record but now you need to remember to do the other thing")

That should have a result only when the record is first saved.

Let me know if that works.

• 5.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 16:26
    So my follow up question is, would a non-admin user be able to see my new field and would they be able to change it?

• 6.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 16:28
    Any user will see the field, but it is a formula field so they would not be able to change it.

• 7.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 16:36
    I get this message The text to be displayed here contains an HTML tag that is not allowed.

• 8.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 17:06
    Garfield, did you create a new field to hold this formula or did you think that you could just enter all this as a form text element (which is not going to work).  You need to create a new field for this formula.

• 9.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 17:14
    I added a text field to my form and selected html (limited) and got this error.

• 10.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 17:20
    See my comment above.

• 11.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 17:55
    For the most reliable response on that prompt you would want to do as Mark was saying and create a formula-Rich Text field and make use of a similar formula and then put it on your form. This way you will get the colorized text based on the value of the record to show up right on the form where you would like it to display. 

• 12.  RE: prompt user when new record created

Posted 06-13-2018 18:49
    Or you can setup a new email notification that can be sent to the Record Owner (which is the person who just created the record) when a new record is created.  That will serve as a good reminder to do the other steps.