Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Auto generated numbers

• 1.  Auto generated numbers

Posted 04-15-2016 18:36

I'm looking to create an auto-generate sequential number....without using the Record ID #. We are almost 3 years into Quickbase using a table that had no record number. Now we want one and I can't start with 4,356, it needs to start with 1. Is there a way to have an auto-generated number without linking it to the Record ID#?

• 2.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 04-15-2016 18:38
    I suggest a numerbing system based on the formula

[Record ID#] - 4,356

• 3.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 07-21-2017 17:14
    what if i needed to use that field as key field for table?

• 4.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 07-21-2017 17:46
    There actually is a way to have a formula field be a Key field.  It can be set using a manually typed API to set the Key field.  Maybe you can explain your exact situation.

• 5.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 05-16-2018 18:54
    I'm in the same situation. I have a product table which needs a product_ID as a auto generated sequence number. The Product_ID is also the key to this table, so I cannot populate it using Record ID #. Can you provide some pointers to manual API thing to set a formula field as a key field? Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 05-16-2018 19:00
    I have never testing using a record ID# as a Key field as part of a formula field.

If you want to test that in a copy fo your app, you can type the API

you would get to the tale and then observe the URL.  Then after the ? in the URL you would erase what is there and type

act=API_SetKeyField&fid=99

where 99 is the field ID of the formula field.

So..
    1. i have never tested using the [Record ID#] in a formula as the Key field.
    2. I would test this in a copy of the app first.

During this process disable the need for Application Tokens in your app.

• 7.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 05-30-2018 15:41
    Is there no easier way to do this? I'm new to Quickbase - no idea how to access the API yet.  I'm actually surprised for Record IDs the number does not get automatically generated especially if it's being used as a Key Field. 

• 8.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 05-30-2018 17:08
    Zee,
    It would be better to post a new question explaining your question.

Every QuickBase table has the built in system fields which counts up by 1 for every record created and never duplicates.  The field name is Record ID#

• 9.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 06-17-2019 07:00
    I'm trying to create an auto-generate sequential number....without using the Record ID #. i'm trying to count the Number of Enquiries received .we tested few formulas from various post now the record is 11 ,this can be increased also - testing purpose but when end user adds a record the number should start from 1.

the expected output :
    E19-0001

E-Enquiry 
    19-year 
    001-sequential number   

• 10.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 06-17-2019 10:59
    If your app is not yet in production then I suggest copying the app without data. That will reset the record ID back to zero.

Alternative, and I personally hate this option, you can just make a formula like

[Record ID#] - 1

I personally would never do that, as I dislike that mismatch between record iD and the record identifier, as it will just lead to a lifetime of confusion.

• 11.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 06-17-2019 11:44
    let me give a detailed explanation on what i'm trying to do  -the app is already in use but i have created a new table for sales project in which i'm trying to create a field called "Enquiry number- auto generate " and this field will be filled by respective project coordinators hence will come to know how many enquiries received and acknowledged by the coordinator .

eg :
    A user creates a record - then expect output - EA19-001 (001 should the count project)
    B user creates a record -then expected output -EB19-001

• 12.  RE: Auto generated numbers

Posted 06-18-2019 01:31
    I understand the ask now, but its a pain to explain and a pain to implement.

In the past when I have asked clients why they want this, there is no good reason other than "we have always done it this way" and I try to push back as that is not a good enough reason.

The method (which i do not recommend involved summary fields for the highest count so far and then a lookup of that back down to the detail record and then freezing that lookup in a snapshot field.

If you really do want to implement this and no one else takes the time to explain the detailed step by step process or to locate the previous posting on this forum for a similar question, then you can control me for one on one consulting assistance.