Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Help with Automations

• 1.  Help with Automations

Posted 17 days ago
    Help! My automation is not working and I'm not sure why. I have it set to "checkmark" a field (Report Received) any time a user adds a record to Quarterly Reports (document upload). Here's a screen shot of the report I'm doing it for.

------------------------------
    Bethany Dickey

• 2.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 16 days ago
    Hi Bethany,

For this Automation are the Quarterly Reports bring added to a child table of your Contracts table? If so is it set up that an individual record on the table we are seeing here would have one Quarterly Report below it or is it going to be getting multiple Quarterly Reports over time?

Do you have a screenshot of the logic of your Automation trigger and steps by chance?

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 3.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 16 days ago
    Yes, the documents table is a child to the contracts table. Here is the trigger and action screen shots.

Bethany Dickey

• 4.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 16 days ago
    Edited by Austin K 16 days ago
    A few things I see here. Although going over Evans questions you may need more than this depending on how you want it to work exactly.

You said the documents table was a child to the contracts table. The automation is showing that you are looking for modifications to a record in Contracts. You want to look for a modification happening in your Documents table as that is where the record is being modified and the file uploaded.

In the second screenshot you have the automation set to modify anything that has been created after 3/23/2020 so this would potentially modify many records at once. What you usually want to stick with is something like "[Record ID#] is equal to the [Record ID#\ of the trigger" which will modify the record that triggered the automation. That is what is used in most cases to prevent the automation from modifying way more than it should. Just an FYI for you in the future.

However in this particular case what you likely want to do is have the trigger be in your Documents table. Then have the trigger be a record being added there and when the automation is editing the record in the Contract table it should match the "[Record ID#] is equal to [Related Contract]" I believe that would work for you but test it out first as I have not. I may have it backwords and it may need to be "[Related Contract] is equal to [Record ID#] from the trigger" it is hard without it being in front of me.

• 5.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 16 days ago
    I've worked one it with your advice, but it just checkmarks the field for every contract.

--

Bethany Dickey
    Program Administrator
    Mobile Bay National Estuary Program
    118 N. Royal St., Suite 601
    Mobile, AL 36602
    251-459-8870

• 6.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 15 days ago
    Can you post another screenshot of your automation? That was very helpful before. It sounds like the issue is with the part where you tell the automation what record(s) it should be modifying.

Also I would do the testing of this automation in a copy of your app. This isn't such a big deal with this one since it only checks one checkbox and could be easily reversed(assuming all records were not checked beforehand) but in other cases it might be a nightmare if an automation goes wild.

• 7.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 15 days ago
    automation 3-25-20.PNG
    action 3-25-20.PNG

--

Bethany Dickey
    Program Administrator
    Mobile, AL 36602
    251-459-8870

• 8.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 15 days ago
    In the second screenshot I believe your "Trigger: Documents: Record ID#" should be "Trigger: Documents: Related Contract" which should match the record id from the Document that triggered the automation to match up to the Record ID from the Related Contract. Then it should only edit the one matching record in the Contracts table.

• 9.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 15 days ago
    That worked! Thanks so much!!

--

Bethany Dickey
    Program Administrator
    Mobile, AL 36602
    251-459-8870

• 10.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 15 days ago
    What if I want it to email me when one is uploaded? There is an employee table in the same app. Here are the relationships:
    employees.PNG

--

Bethany Dickey
    Program Administrator
    Mobile, AL 36602
    251-459-8870

• 11.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 15 days ago
    Since this does say it is a quarterly report are you expecting this to have 4 related uploads per record, once all 4 quarters have passed? If this is a requirement then this may need to be looked at again. Because after the first report gets uploaded the record on the Contracts table will still have the "Quarterly report received" checkbox checked when it comes time for the next report. This may or may not be an issue for you but just wanted to make sure.

Onto the question you just asked though, I think the best way to do that may be to use a notification on the Contracts table. This would trigger off of the "Quarterly Report Received" checkbox.

Create a new notification that gets sent to yourself. 

Notification when: a Contract is modified 
    Click "Additional criteria" and then click "Any of the following fields change"
    Select your "Quarterly report added" field by checking the box next to its name
    Now add it as an actual condition "Quarterly report added is equal to checked"

This will now send you a notification whenever that checkbox is checked on a record which will coincide with a document being uploaded.

• 12.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 15 days ago
    I think I'll just be able to change the Date Modified date for the next quarter.

I got the trigger for the notification but can't see how to make it email me.

--

Bethany Dickey
    Program Administrator
    Mobile, AL 36602
    251-459-8870

• 13.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 15 days ago
    Edited by Austin K 15 days ago
    Are you wanting to email yourself on the account that is associated with Quick Base or are you trying to send it to an outside email address?

If sending it to yourself at the email associated with Quick Base you should only have to select "Me" in the Notify Whom section to start receiving them. You can also select "a specific set of users" and browse through your users and type in their email addresses in the box. This will only work for someone with access to the app.

If you need to send it to people outside of your organization or to an email that isn't a registered account then you may need to contact customer support. There are sometimes restrictions put on accounts that prevent this outside emailing. This is called an Open Notification.

In the body of the notification you should probably also include %recLink% or click to include a copy of the changed record so there is a link back to what has changed.

• 14.  RE: Help with Automations

Posted 15 days ago
    Got it!