Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Rohit Agarwal

Rohit Agarwal05-16-2017 18:21

• 1.  How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-16-2017 17:59
    I have a dashboard with multiple charts and reports coming from different source tables. I want a Global Filter that will filter all charts and reports on click.

• 2.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-16-2017 18:07
    If  this only needs to work for 1 set of filters at a time across your organization, then here is a solution.

Set up a new table called Global report filters and create a single record.  Add 1 record and then lock it down so no one can add any new records.  It will be [Record ID#] of 1.

Make dropdown fields or relationships on that record to look up or select the filter(s) you want.

On your details table, where the data is, make a formula numeric field with the formula of 1 and make a relationship back to that single record.  Lookup those filters and adjust your dashboard reports to use that filter.

You will probably want to find a way to make the user aware of what filter is being applied.  Depending on the type of report that may be obvious to your users or maybe you can build the filters into a Report group By heading.

• 3.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-16-2017 18:21
    Thank you. I will try and get back.

• 4.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-16-2017 18:36
    Is there any source where I can find the demo.

• 5.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-16-2017 18:41
    I do not have a demo app.  You can just start down the path and i will help you if you get stuck on any of the steps.

• 6.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-16-2017 18:44
    Suppose I have to filter on Status.  So I created a table name Filter with 1 record (status with value completed). As said, Now how I will proceed further?

• 7.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-16-2017 18:50
    OK, so you wanted to have a Global filter or maybe a few filters.  What is that Global Filter?

• 8.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-16-2017 18:54
    Set up a new table called Global report filters and create a single record.  Add 1 record and then lock it down so no one can add any new records.  It will be [Record ID#] of 1.

My table name is Filter with field name Staus and value Completed.

• 9.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-16-2017 19:08
    The status Field should be a multiple choice field with any of the status that you might want to Filter on.

The next step is this
    On your details table, where the data is, make a formula numeric field with the formula of 1 and make a relationship back to that single record.  Lookup those filters and adjust your dashboard reports to use that filter.

• 10.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-17-2017 13:18
    How about I have to apply multiple filters at different sources instead of one. Do I create a column of each filter in a table or there is any other way.

• 11.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-17-2017 13:25
    If you are going to use multiple filters, then the process is the same.  You would set those filters on the single record, look them up to your details tables and use them as report filters.

• 12.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-17-2017 14:47
    Means I have to create columns of every filter.

• 13.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 05-17-2017 14:48
    I am not really understanding about extra columns on the report.  I was referring to the report filters.

• 14.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 12-07-2018 18:49
    I am trying to create a similar approach.  I followed your directions, but ran into an error. I have 2 tables: details (all the data) and parent table (with 1 record with a field multiple choice for customer id sourced from the details table).  I created the report to use the customer id as a user selected filter.  question 1: When I run the report, I get no results.  i am a bit mistified how this query is working so not able to debug much.
    question 2: How do I make this a global filter on a page with multiple reports so the user only enters the filter once and all reports are updated?

• 15.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 12-07-2018 19:03
    Jonatan,
    when you made the relationship, did you make the related global filter field on the "Many" side of the relationship be a formula field that would calculate to 1?

As for seeing multiple reports on one page, they can all be put on a dashboard page.  There would be a "report" of that single Global filter record at the top of the dashboard so the user can edit to select their filter.

I can continue to help you here slowly here or else contact me via the information on my website to for faster one on one assistance. 
    QuickBaseCoach.com

• 16.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 12-07-2018 23:29
    This enhancement request has recent activity:
    https://quickbase.uservoice.com/forums/111823-quick-base-product-feedback/suggestions/35100934-dynam...

A native solution may be possible in the not-too-far-off future...

• 17.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 02-24-2019 00:29
    Mark

I am trying to do the same thing and not sure of the relationship, is it parent table has many program names or program name has many installations

• 18.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 02-24-2019 00:34
    Joey, that question looks like it's not for this thread.

• 19.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 02-24-2019 10:12
    Well I probably did not phrase this correctly. I created the table with the one multiple choice field for my report filter but am fuzzy on the relationship to the details table and setting up the filters.

• 20.  RE: How to create a Global Filter that will filter all reports and charts in one Home Page.

Posted 02-24-2019 13:17
    Assuming you were doing this in a single user environment, where you don�t expect to have multiple users tripping over each other, you create a new table for your global filter and you put exactly one record in it. They will only ever be what record in it and it will be record ID number one. Then you make a relationship to all other detail tables that you need to control. On the reference side of that relationship you will have a formula feel that calculates to one.

Then you look up the global filter down into any of the detail tables and use it in reports that are on the dashboard.

If you want to have this working in a multi user environment where multiple users can each independently set their own filters then that set up is a little more complicated and I suggest you contact me off-line at QuickBaseCoach.com.