Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Getting the most recent field data, using a summary field, of a non-date field.

• 1.  Getting the most recent field data, using a summary field, of a non-date field.

Posted 02-09-2018 22:08
    Greetings Quickbase Community!

The title of this post may sound a bit confusing so I will provide my goal followed by an example:

Goal: I have two tables related to each other, Submissions and Offers, where Submission records are the parents and Offer records are the children(1 Submission has many Offers.)  What I need to do, is retrieve the integer field(or value) of the "Offer" that is most recent of all the "Offers" related to that Submissions.

Example:    Offers            Offer Amount               Offer Date

Offer 1            10,000                          1/12/17
                        Offer 2            30,000                          1/18/17
                        Offer 3            20,000                          2/28/17

In the above table, my goal is to have the Submission record retrieve the "20,000" from its related offers.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

• 2.  RE: Getting the most recent field data, using a summary field, of a non-date field.

Posted 02-10-2018 03:21
    No problem
    Make a Summary field of the Maximum Offer Date, and call it [date of latest offer]

Lookup that field down to offers

Make a summary if the maximum offer amount subjust to the filter where Offer Date equals [date of latest offer]

• 3.  RE: Getting the most recent field data, using a summary field, of a non-date field.

Posted 04-20-2018 16:29
    Hi!

Thanks again for your help 2 months ago.

Do you think this would be possible for a non numeric field(i.e. a text field)?

Thanks in advance.

Nate 

• 4.  RE: Getting the most recent field data, using a summary field, of a non-date field.

Posted 04-20-2018 16:39
    Yes, you will need to do a reverse relationship.  

First make a summary of the minimum record ID# subject to the filter that the date = maximum offer date.
    call it [Record ID# of Most Recent Offer]

Then make a new relationship with is backwards - ie reverse.

One Offer has many Submissions, but when you go to the right side use the field [Record ID# of Most Recent Offer].  Then look up anything that you want form the Offer to the Submission.

• 5.  RE: Getting the most recent field data, using a summary field, of a non-date field.

Posted 02-14-2018 20:13
    Thanks for the reply!

I've tried this as well but unfortunately you can only use filters on fields in Offer records.  IE:

-Only summarize records where the following is true in Offer:

-all of these conditions are true:
          - [Some Date Field In Offers]  'is equal to'  'the date in the field'  [Some Other Date Field In Offers]

In other words, I cannot use fields in the Submissions table fields as a reference when creating filters.

• 6.  RE: Getting the most recent field data, using a summary field, of a non-date field.

Posted 02-14-2018 21:16
    Please do this step from above

Lookup that field down to offers 

Then the field you need to compare to will  be in Offers

• 7.  RE: Getting the most recent field data, using a summary field, of a non-date field.

Posted 02-14-2018 22:27
    Genius!  Worked like a charm.  Thanks!