Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

• 1.  quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 05-24-2018 16:36
    Using webhooks I'm trying to add & modify records in multiple projects.

But facing this error. 

• 2.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 05-24-2018 17:12
    I have received the same error using QB Actions so am interested to hear if anyone has further insight on this.

• 3.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 05-24-2018 17:13
    You may only trigger Actions or Webhooks at the rate of 10 per second. Might there be a �loop� where the Webhook is triggering itself?

• 4.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 05-24-2018 19:02
    Hi Abhi,

This error comes up most often when a Webhook/Action is set up so that the webhook triggers itself over and over. For example if a webhook is set to edit a project every time the project is edited without any filters the webhook firing will trigger itself over and over, creating an endless loop that gets cut off.

Another common but slightly harder to see issue is when a webhook fires off to another table and that table fires a webhook back, essentially creating a loop that can feed back and forth or adding up to 10 in one second. For example if I have 5 Webhooks that all fire from my projects table to my Tasks table all at once and those Webhooks trigger 6 Webhooks back to my Projects table, a total of 11 webhooks (6 inbound and 5 outbound) are taking place. 

• 5.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 05-24-2018 19:12
    If 10 webhooks fire at once, does that in fact hit the rate threshold? Or does that not kick in until 11 webhooks/actions are firing at once?

• 6.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 05-24-2018 19:17
    The error is triggered if > 10 per second, so 10 is OK.  That is also why they only allow 10 Actions per table - in case they all fire at once.

• 7.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 05-24-2018 19:18
    Hi Dan,

Sorry you are right it is at 11 when you go over that threshold, I spaced on that one that 10 was the max not the point where it triggers the limit. 

• 8.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 05-24-2018 19:23
    Are there any good ways to delay a webhook by a few seconds so that when tables send webhooks back and forth to each other that it wouldn't overload the webhooks?

• 9.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 05-24-2018 19:26
    Jill,
    I suggest exploring to see if Automations have the capability you need.  They can have at least 20 steps (the limit was 20 when I was Early Access testing) and I think they are tuned to run a bit slowly to not exceed that 10  per second limit. 

• 10.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 08-16-2018 16:41
    I'm getting the same error from Automations, one of which only changes data in the same table (the same record actually).

• 11.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 08-16-2018 16:57
    Hi Jennifer,

This can happen when you set up an Automation that will trigger itself. For example one that says whenever I edit this record then fire off an Automation that will edit this record. Then when the Automation edits the record it triggers itself again, over and over. Essentially creating a loop. You want to make sure your Automation has some kind of control to prevent this from happening.

A great example of this is if you have an Automation set up so that when a record is edited you then edit the record without any filters. Instead if you have it set so that whenever a record is edited and the Company Name field changes then edit the Company History field the Automation isn't set up to trigger itself. 

• 12.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 08-16-2018 17:00
    Yeah, I ran into that in the beginning, but I limited it to only when a record was added, and it's been running for over a week. Just started getting the message about the Webhooks since Tuesday evening.

It's also firing on an Action that only creates a child record when a parent record meeting specific criteria is changed to 100% complete.

• 13.  RE: quick base message returned web hooks are exceeding the threshold rate

Posted 08-16-2018 17:05
    Do you have a number of other Automations that could be firing at the same time within your application from just total traffic? In that instance I would recommend reaching out to the Care team via a support case and see if they can help you isolate when you are hitting that threshold and why. You can create a support case when signed into a Quick Base application by clicking on the question mark icon that appears in the upper right hand corner of Quick Base and selecting Manage Support Cases. You can also create a support case directly here