Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Display Multi-Select Text as Radio Buttons

Posted 02-23-2018 19:07
    Our risk management dept. does reviews of our insurance policies to check for compliance. They have a 'Policy Issues' section of the form with 24 checkbox fields of potential issues. Every time I look at it I think 'There's gotta be a better way!'

I think it'd make more sense as one Multi-Select Text field, but I don't see the option with this field type to display as radio buttons. They need all options visible on the form to serve as a reminder to check for all the issues.

I guess I could build a formula field to consolidate those marked as true, but wanted to see if anyone has a better idea first.

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Display Multi-Select Text as Radio Buttons

Posted 02-23-2018 19:17
    Yes, I think that your best option is 24 checkboxes in edit mode and then in view mode a formula text field

List("\n",
    If([firefighter?], "Smoke risk"),
    If([sky diver?], "Chute fail risk"),
    If([bomb tester?], "Explosion risk"))

• 3.  RE: Display Multi-Select Text as Radio Buttons

Posted 02-23-2018 19:19
    Here's what comes to mind.

Answer these questions:
    Does each issue create a different process or workflow?
    Can notifications and reminders get triggered off these potential Issues
    Are there due dates? etc... 

If so then the check box is what you want.
    If only one item will be checked use a multiple choice list.
    If many items will be checked but you won't need to do any reporting, actions or Notifications then a Multi-select list works.

caveat: You can create a formula that takes the options selected in a multi-select and outputs it to a text field. Each option is separated by a semi-colon.

• 4.  RE: Display Multi-Select Text as Radio Buttons

Posted 02-27-2018 16:34
    Thank you both for your time! I wish there was a way to display multi-select text field choices as multiple checkboxes, but that just isn't an option natively. I think I'll concatenate them into a formula-text as suggested :)

• 5.  RE: Display Multi-Select Text as Radio Buttons

Posted 03-15-2018 21:48
    I would love this, too. Since it's not an option, I appreciate the reminder of using a formula to get them all displayed as one. :)