Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Importing data into child table and linking it to parent table

• 1.  Importing data into child table and linking it to parent table

Posted 04-24-2017 23:57
    My system has about 100 parts identified by a Part Number in the parent "configuration Table".
    Each part has 5 to 10 documents that I would like to archive. 
    I created a child table named 'documentation' which gather records called 'documents'.
    I created a lookup field to the parent "configuration table" which is the field "Part Number".

Because I have so many references to create, it seems easier for me to list all the documents under excels and to import it them all at once.

The file I upload has the following fields:
    Part Number (My lookup field) / Document Number / Document Type / Link to the document...

My problem is, when I upload, all the documents end up linked to the same part (The one listed first...).

That seems like a pretty straightforward issue but I can t find a way around..
    Can anyone help?

thanks

• 2.  RE: Importing data into child table and linking it to parent table

Posted 04-25-2017 03:33
    Is "Part Number" the key field on the parent table?  If its not the Key field you will need to know the record ID, so you can import the [Related Part].

You cannot import into lookup fields.

• 3.  RE: Importing data into child table and linking it to parent table

Posted 04-25-2017 16:39
    Thank you. Unfortunately , although Part Number is the key field to me, I was not familiar with the concept and the current Key field in quickbase seems to be a record number link to the order in which I filled the master table.
    Can I change the Key filed now? I have 5 other child/parents relationships that work fine and I do not want to mess everything up... 

• 4.  RE: Importing data into child table and linking it to parent table

Posted 04-25-2017 18:01
    If you don't want to cause any other issues, I'd recommend doing a vlookup in excel to match the part number to the QB record ID#.

You will need to export a report with two columns ( Part # & Record ID#),  then do the vlookup on your import data, to get the [Related Part] value.

There are a lot of tutorials out there for vlookup help.  But let me know if you get stuck on the QB side.