Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 07-27-2016 22:55
    I asked this question but I did not get the right response from the support. 
    As I am importing info periodically to test before I roll out my app, all text field which usually have multi line notes and have date logging enabled, are being repeated after each import. Can you please advise if this is a bug and how could this be fixed?

• 2.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 07-27-2016 23:34
    I'm not understanding your question. Are you asking how to clear those fields after each test?

• 3.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 07-27-2016 23:37
    Each time I import and update existing records in my app, there are certain fields which tend to repeat the data.  I have attached examples of these two fields. They happen to be text fields and have the date logging on in their setting as a common trait. I would also like to clear these fields once I have clarity on how to avoid repetition.

• 4.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 07-28-2016 00:32
    I don't see an obvious way to avoid repetition when importing to a field with logging enabled, other than not importing into that field.  But then new records would be missing that field.

A suggestion is to import into that field, causing repetition, but then hide that field from most reports and forms, and instead use a formula text field to extract out the most current data. Then provide an alternate form for users to use (accessed by a URL formula button) to display those raw fields with the logging. So users would only use that alternate form if they needed to see the update history in that field.

• 5.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 07-28-2016 00:52
    Thanks. But the date being recorded is the same as you might have noticed.  Also how do I clear this field to have one final upload?

• 6.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 07-28-2016 03:17
    To clear the field , change the field type to a formula text field and then back to a text field.

• 7.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 08-03-2016 22:03
    What does that red button do next to the Save button?

• 8.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 08-03-2016 22:17
    It is a little button with some coding that allows to create a table of content on the side of the page where you can click and navigate to a real long form easily.  This is to get around the lack of native capability of QB to not to offer tabs in the forms.

• 9.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 08-03-2016 23:03
    Oh cool!  You can also add tabs to your form if you can add this button.

• 10.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 08-03-2016 23:53
    Really, how?

• 11.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 08-04-2016 00:02
    Here's a link that might help.  http://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_js_tabs.asp
    You can set up something similar to this in Quickbase.  My recommendation is to move out of the formula-text fields for your code as quickly as possible and use db pages instead for your html, css, and javascript.  That will substantially improve the readability of the code.

Now here's the awesome part, each form section comes with it's own id.  You can use that id in place of the id in the example of the link I provided.

If you want I can write you a formula-text field that do this for any form where the field is included.

• 12.  RE: Repitition of Imported Data

Posted 03-07-2017 04:59
    Great :)