Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Formula for a field to label which order it is in

Posted 09-14-2021 15:44
    Edited by Tim T 09-14-2021 15:46
    Hello,

I have two tables, Parent table Task and child table Steps. Each Task has an initial step assigned to it via pipelines and when the user selects an option in the Step form, another pipeline runs to generate a new step that is then automatically related to the Task.

I am trying to find a way to make a formula field in the Steps table that says whether this is Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 in accordance to its Related Task. I keep getting stuck as to how to make this happen, i hope someone can help me out!

• 2.  RE: Formula for a field to label which order it is in

Posted 09-14-2021 18:01
    Since you seem to be comfortable with pipelines, probably the easiest way is to make a summary field on the parent table to count the number of children and look that up down to children as [Current Step Count].

Then when a Step is created have the pipeline copy the value of the [Current Step Count (lookup)] into a scalar data entry field called [Step number].

------------------------------
    Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Formula for a field to label which order it is in

Posted 09-14-2021 18:05
    Thanks for the response, Mark. This is definitely something i'm starting to move towards! However, you don't happen to have an idea on how to label the Steps that have already been done, eh?

• 4.  RE: Formula for a field to label which order it is in

Posted 09-14-2021 18:11
    Maybe some export to excel and crazy manipulation and reimport that field?  There is no easy way.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Formula for a field to label which order it is in

Posted 09-15-2021 10:34
    Is there always a max of 3 steps, or did you just use that for an example and there can be any number of steps? What is the max number you currently have?

Michael Tamoush

• 6.  RE: Formula for a field to label which order it is in

Posted 09-15-2021 10:45
    unfortunately, there can be any number of steps!