Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Can the info in the field of a non related record in another table be shown in a field?

• 1.  Can the info in the field of a non related record in another table be shown in a field?

Posted 10-24-2018 18:56
    I have a table that holds information that an automation setup by someone else puts info into a record when it's created.  The records aren't related when this happens, it just pulls data initially into a Note field.  Is there a formula that can retrieve some other info I need from another field?  I would use an If statement to let it know which info to pull, but I'm wondering if there is a formula to tell it which record and field to get the info from.

In other words, a formula that says, go to a specific field in a specific record in a specific table  and display the content.

The tables do have a relationship, but the records aren't related when the automation already in place creates the record.  Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Dana

• 2.  RE: Can the info in the field of a non related record in another table be shown in a field?

Posted 10-24-2018 19:01
    I suggest trying a Report Link field Type.  That Field type can run a report which will be filtered based on how you configure the two fields on the settings for that field.  Then you put that Report Link on the form and set the form properties to show the records on the form.  You do not need a Relationship.

• 3.  RE: Can the info in the field of a non related record in another table be shown in a field?

Posted 10-24-2018 19:09
    Thanks, that's very helpful.