Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Pie Chart - Combine Values

Posted 01-28-2015 12:30

Hello all,

I tried to search for what I'm trying to do but I didn't know how to word it exactly. I would like to create a pie chart but combine values. In other words, my data looks something like this:

1. Piano: 10
    2. Banjo: 1
    3. Flute: 1
    4. Guitar: 3
    5. Sitar: 2

If I make a pie chart right now, it will show me:

1. Piano: 59%
    2. Banjo: 6%
    3. Flute: 6%
    4. Guitar: 17%
    5. Sitar: 12%

As expected. However, I'd like to somehow combine the values, so the output looks more like this:

1. Piano: 59%
    2. Other: 41%

I considered making a calculated column somehow but I didn't know what to put in it: If([Instrument]="Piano",........?)

Could someone please help me out?

• 2.  RE: Pie Chart - Combine Values

Posted 01-28-2015 12:40
    If ([Instrument] = "Piano", "Piano", "Other")

• 3.  RE: Pie Chart - Combine Values

Posted 01-28-2015 13:20
    This seems to solve the calculated column problem, but how can I use this as the series in my pie chart?

• 4.  RE: Pie Chart - Combine Values

Posted 01-28-2015 14:19
    If you set that calculated column as your series you should get what you're looking for, because it will either say Piano or Other, so you'll get your two pie slices.

• 5.  RE: Pie Chart - Combine Values

Posted 01-28-2015 15:41
    I think I'm still missing something. When I'm on the screen to create my chart, in the "Chart Details" section, I can't set the Series to the calculated column. I don't see something that says <Calculated Column> or the label I gave it. All I see are the current fields available. I see the <Calculated Column> in the Data values, but I need that to be the series. Maybe I'm trying to do this in the wrong table?

• 6.  RE: Pie Chart - Combine Values

Posted 01-28-2015 15:46
    Oh, i could see how that could be the case. If you create a new field, Formula - Text, and use that formula, then you will have that field available for the report.

• 7.  RE: Pie Chart - Combine Values

Posted 01-28-2015 15:54
    Ah; perfect! Thank you!

• 8.  RE: Pie Chart - Combine Values

Posted 08-10-2018 12:59
    Hello,

I have a pie chart with too many values in "customer" field, how can I combine values so that all customers that fall below 4% participation will be put together.

can someone help with the formula?

thank you