Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Logging data from a calculate field of a report

Posted 08-22-2017 16:56
    What I want to do in my head is fairly simple - but theory to practice has been a challenge. I have a report that has a calculated field. It sums a duration to field to come up with X number of days total work outstanding.

I'd like to be able to trend this data over time, by day or week. I couldn't find a native way to do this in Quickbase off hand. I thought if I created a new "trend" table and could create a new record each day/week that automatically pulled in the calculated field I could trend that. I haven't found a way to do this.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this? Either by my above method or something entirely different. 

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Logging data from a calculate field of a report

Posted 08-22-2017 17:07
    If you are looking to copy records from a report to another table by pushing a button each day, i can walk you though how to create that button.

If it is just one entry that needs to be added to a table, then you would need to get that value onto a record somewhere.  is that what you are trying to do, like capture that on August 22nd the backlog was X".

• 3.  RE: Logging data from a calculate field of a report

Posted 08-22-2017 17:13
    I'd prefer the action be automatic but if a button is the only way I could live with that. 

Yes- the "August 22nd the backlog was X" is correct. One challenge I've run into is this is a calculate field . The data is stored in either hours or days and is all converted to day for the total backlog.

• 4.  RE: Logging data from a calculate field of a report

Posted 08-22-2017 17:18
    You would need to make a table called backlog today with a single record in it.  it will be [Record ID#] of 1.

Then on the projects table make a new field called [Link to backlog (=10] with a formula numeric formula of 1.

Then make a Relationship where 1 Today's Backlog has many projects based on that link field.

Then make a summary field of the backlog.

If you get that far I will help you with the button.

• 5.  RE: Logging data from a calculate field of a report

Posted 08-22-2017 18:07
    Thanks. I've got the summary table/record indicating the current value of the report.

• 6.  RE: Logging data from a calculate field of a report

Posted 08-22-2017 19:21
    OK, so now we need a button on that record to create a record in the history table.

Can you make that History Table called say Backlog History and tell me the table alias name of the table by looking at the Advanced Properties for the Backlog History table.  It will be a name like _DBID_BACKLOG_HISTORY

On that table please make a field called Backlog and let me know the field ID of that field.  may as well create a date field too called backlog date and let me know its field ID#