Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  url button add record to same table, edit new record, and table report

Posted 09-06-2018 15:04

I can?t seem to wrap my head around this one today, but I?m pretty sure it can be done.

I need to add a URL button. This button will:

Change the Billing Status field to Complete

Add new record to the same table. Two fields in the new record need to auto populate as follows:

Billing Start Date field populates to the day after the Billing End Date field from the previous record.

Billing End Date field populates to 30 days in the future from the Billing Start Date

This button will be placed in a table report for quick manager approval.

I need to place this button in a table report for the manager to approve the record without going into it. I don?t want the screen to refresh, so they can go down the whole table without having the screen reload. Is it possible for the button to only have the ability to be pressed once? I?d also include the Billing Status field in the table, so they could see that the button worked and that the status did indeed change. 

• 2.  RE: url button add record to same table, edit new record, and table report

Posted 09-06-2018 15:51
    Yes this can be done, but I would suggest refreshing the report do as to prevent the button from being pushed twice. When the report refreshed it would drop the Approved Record off the report.

The basic Syntax would be

var text URLONE = and the the code to edit the record;
    var text URLTWO = and the code to add a record;
    Var text URLTHREE = and the code to run the report;

$URLONE
    & "&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLTWO)
    & URLEncode("&rdr=" & URLEncode($URLTHREE)

Do you also need help with the code for the individual formula variables?

• 3.  RE: url button add record to same table, edit new record, and table report

Posted 09-06-2018 16:44
    For this instance, I would recommend a growl button that will allow the user to approve multiple records without navigation. 

I understand the recommendation to prevent the button from being pushed twice however, so I would add a condition to hide the button when the status equals Complete on the button formula, and include some indication not to press for same record in the growl message. Erroneous data can be deleted.

• 4.  RE: url button add record to same table, edit new record, and table report

Posted 09-06-2018 16:54
    Well post the code you have and I will help debug it

• 5.  RE: url button add record to same table, edit new record, and table report

Posted 09-06-2018 16:07
    YES, please, code help! My brain just isn't in the right place for code today and I'm under a deadline! I would appreciate any help you could give.

• 6.  RE: url button add record to same table, edit new record, and table report

Posted 09-06-2018 16:42
    I�m just finishing up a cycling trip and to provide a complete code solution would take a lot of typing on my iPhone.

I have put an app in the Exchange called URL Formulas for dummies. Can you download that as a start and then give the code a shot and I can help you correct any syntax problems?

Or else contact me via my website QuickBaseCoach.com and we can book some one on one time next week to get this working.

• 7.  RE: url button add record to same table, edit new record, and table report

Posted 09-06-2018 16:51
    Thank you for the offer. Unfortunately, they need it done today in order to write the process. Maybe I just need to walk away from it and come back to it later, sometimes that helps me. I've been in the URL for dummies referencing all morning and I'm not seeing what I'm needing. My QB has been very buggy in Chrome and likes to hide things from me and when I switch to IE they appear, but I don't get all of my functionality like in Chrome...ugh!

• 8.  RE: url button add record to same table, edit new record, and table report

Posted 09-06-2018 20:43
    I wanted to update just in case someone else was as boggled as I was. I was actually able to accomplish all of this through the new automations feature. I swear I attended a training where the instructor stated it couldn't be accomplished for the same table, but in fact, it could. Customer care also confirmed it and everything is running smoothly.

• 9.  RE: url button add record to same table, edit new record, and table report

Posted 09-06-2018 20:51
    thanks for sharing, I am still mastering automations!