Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Copy record from one app to another app

Posted 03-29-2017 02:32
    we've have 2 teams working on 2 different apps. When team A is done with their work that record needs to be copied to another app (team B will continue to work with that copied record). Is it possible to copy a record from one app to another. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Copy record from one app to another app

Posted 03-29-2017 04:14
    This can be done, but will more than likely require a custom script.  
    I'm assuming your record is rather large, and there is most likely child records associated with it.  There might even be some file attachments as well.

You will need a custom script to transfer that much data.

This is a shot in the dark, but if you don't have multiple layers of data, and have less than 10 fields to transfer, you could do this through a URL button, but beyond that you'll want to go with script.

• 3.  RE: Copy record from one app to another app

Posted 03-29-2017 10:54
    Is it a single-table record?  Are there attachments?  

If the answer is that it's a single-table record and there are no attachments you can use a Table-to-Table import which you would need to fire using a button to launch it from the record you are pushing.  The button would usually have to "mark" the record in some way (like a checkbox) and then run the Table-to-Table Import in the other Application which can then come back to the record and mark it as "transferred" with a date/time field.  There are also other more advanced options for marking a record which doesn't do all this; but ultimately when transferring data, unless you are then deleting it from the source table; it's a good idea to mark it as transferred.

You have to do this so that the next record that is pulled in the table-to-table import doesn't import the same record again that were already transferred.

If you do have attachments, then you may want to consider pulling the data via the Table-to-Table import and populating a cross-app-Relationship so that you can access the file attachments in Application B when the attachments exist in Application A.

Users would need access to both apps to do all of this because it would be their User permissions creating records in Application B from Application A.  

• 4.  RE: Copy record from one app to another app

Posted 06-09-2017 21:45
    This is what I need to do for intakes, if the case is opened I would like to add the data fields directly into the system and not have to retype the info. Can you break down the process a little more?

• 5.  RE: Copy record from one app to another app

Posted 06-09-2017 22:33
    Cassie,
    I suggest that you explore "Actions".  This is very new and were not in general release until about a month or so ago.  It allows you to create a record hen a record is added elsewhere.

Look in the "Settings" for the table where the record is first entered.

• 6.  RE: Copy record from one app to another app

Posted 06-10-2017 11:44
    This can be done easily with a short script using the FormData API and the Fetch API. It makes no difference if there are file attachment fields. I am at a conference at the moment but when I get back home I will show you how do to this. The other suggestions to use (1) actions, (2) Table-to-Table import or (3) formula URLs are all outdated in comparison to using the FormData API. and the Fetch API.