Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Creating multiple reference fields

Posted 11-29-2017 17:45
    Hi, 

I have a table called "Team Members" which has a field called "Full Name"

I have a table called "Action Items" which has fields called "Owner" and "Assigned to".

Both "Owner" and "Assigned to" should take the "Full Name" from "Team Members"

It was easy to create just "Owner" by creating One-to-Many "Team Members->Action Items"

But now how do I create "Assigned to"? I tried to duplicate "Owner" and Rename it, but then they both take the same value. 

• 2.  RE: Creating multiple reference fields

Posted 11-29-2017 18:55
    Can you explain the different functions Owner and Assigned to serve so I know how to recommend a fix?

• 3.  RE: Creating multiple reference fields

Posted 11-29-2017 20:09
    An "Owner" is the one who owns the action item. He is responsible for getting it done. (This is not a record owner)

"Assigned to" is the person to whom the action item is assigned. He is the guy working on that action item. 

They are both Dropdown fields that reference "Team Members" but can have different values. 

Eg. Team Members can have John Smith and James Wyatt, and 1000 other people. 

John Smith can be the owner of the Action Item and James Wyatt can be the "Assigned to"

• 4.  RE: Creating multiple reference fields

Posted 11-29-2017 20:45

Ah! I get it now. In that scenario, you would actually duplicate the relationship you have now for owners, but relabel the lookup field for team member to "Assigned To".

So the relationship is the same, but the function it serves will be different. Hope that makes sense.