Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

• 1.  Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 17:59
    I'm trying to create a summarized report that shows the average time all cases spend in each status.  Once I have that with the status as rows, I'd like a separate report with statuses as columns and case owners as rows.

Appreciate any and all assistance!

• 2.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 18:28
    Try using the "grouping" option to put your status options as the grouped columns.

• 3.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 19:06
    Doing that gives me the average age of all cases that currently have the column's status.  I'm looking for the average time cases have stayed in each status.

Put another way, instead of "the average age of all Alex's cases that currently have Ready for Review status" I'm looking for "the average time Alex's cases spend in Ready for Review".

Thanks for your help!

• 4.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 19:09
    Do you have those data points as individual records?  i.e. Do you have a record for every time the status changes, and the start and end times of those status changes?

typically people just have a drop-down with the options, but QB doesn't (by default) track how long it was in that status.

• 5.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 19:16
    I have a Status Change Log that captures the time and date of the change, but not something that shows exact start and end times for the status.

Is there a new type of log or table I should make?

• 6.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 19:23
    The "logging changes" option is not report-able, or really usable at all.

You will want these to be child records for every time the status changes.

You can make the button end one status and start another, or you can use an action to edit / add. 

Either way you will need those records to see the actual duration's  for each status.

• 7.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 19:30
    Thanks, and do you have any suggested resources/links for how to setup this child table?  I just began learning QuickBase 4 days ago, so the help is much appreciated!

• 8.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 20:05
    Funny you should ask.  I'm in the process of writing an in depth blog post about this topic.  With the 'how to' as well.  I'll share it once i post it. 

• 9.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-16-2017 15:25
    Can't wait - will really help our project!

• 10.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-09-2018 15:32
    Alex, did you ever get what you needed.  I am in the same boat, have a table logging the status when it changes but don't know how to summarize the time spent in a particular status.

• 11.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 19:15
    .. just chiming into this thread here.  I have to do this for a client and it was "non trivial".

I had to make a child table  for the Status change records and each one had  start  and stop date time fields.  To change status, the user would click a button on ghe parent help ticket which would update the most recent status record to "stop it" with the date/time of now(), and then add a new child status record and "start it" it now().

Then the actual status for the main help ticket record was a reverse lookup from the most recent child record.

Then I could make summary fields on the help ticket for the total time spent in each stataus.

• 12.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 19:30
    Thanks, and do you have any suggested resources/links for how to setup this child table?  I just began learning QuickBase 4 days ago, so the help is much appreciated!

• 13.  RE: Summarized Report showing average duration in each status

Posted 10-13-2017 21:03
    There are Quick Base Solution Providers like Matthew and myself among other organization which do Quick Base training.

I guess that you can wait for Matthew to do his write up.  

You will need to learn about how to set up Relationships.

There is the Quick base university as a resource centre to watch the videos.  https://university.quickbase.com/">https://university.quickbase.com/">https://university.quickbase.com/

This forum is a great resource for any specific questions.