Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  How to create a new record from a parent item and no longer display that parent as an option to prevent duplicates.

Posted 12-28-2018 17:14
    I?m fairly new to QB and have been searching for days so hopefully someone can help.
    I have the following tables:
    -Customers-
    Customer Name
    Address
    City
    State
    Zip

-Categories-
    Category Name
    Category Description

-MyFavorites-
    Customer Name (from customers table)
    Category Name (from categories table)

-Magazines-
    Title
    Description
    Category (from categories table)
    SubMonths
    Price

-Orders-
    Customer Name (from customers table)
    Title (from magazines table)
    SubMonths (defaults based on Magazines table BUT can be modified during order)

Basically, a customer can first choose their favorite categories which is recorded into the MyFavorites table. They then go to view each of their favorite categories and see a list of available magazines under each category. My problem is I?m not sure how to remove the magazine title from the list of available magazine once a customer has ordered it. I would also prefer that list of magazines to have a ?ORDER? button next to each one that would allow them to modify the number of months they would like that subscription before saving as an order. Help is appreciated!

• 2.  RE: How to create a new record from a parent item and no longer display that parent as an option to prevent duplicates.

Posted 12-28-2018 17:27
    I can try to help, but first can you restate your question.  We do not need to know the field list for every table unless it is relevant to the question as that just adds to much mental clutter to posting a clean question.

What would help is to understand the tables and their relationships, ie, which is the One and which is the Many for each relationship.

• 3.  RE: How to create a new record from a parent item and no longer display that parent as an option to prevent duplicates.

Posted 12-28-2018 17:51
    Thanks...hopefully this simplifies:

TABLES:
    Customers
    Categories
    MyFavorites
    Magazines
    Orders

Each CUSTOMER has many CATEGORIES
    Each CUSTOMER has many SUBSCRIPTIONS
    Each CATEGORY has many SUBSCRIPTIONS

I would like the following:
    1.  Customer subscribes to favorite categories (stored in MyFavorites table)
    2.  Customer sees list of magazines based on their associated favorites.
    3.  Customer clicks a button next to available magazines to order.
    4.  A form would open allowing customer to modify the subscription length before saving (stored in Orders table).
    5.  Once customer has ordered a specific magazine, they no longer have the option to order the same one again.

I think I have stumbled my way through items 1-4 but am really stuck on item 5.

• 4.  RE: How to create a new record from a parent item and no longer display that parent as an option to prevent duplicates.

Posted 12-28-2018 20:47
    I would need to understand how you managed to set up #2 in order to suggest how to filter that list to omit magazines already ordered.

• 5.  RE: How to create a new record from a parent item and no longer display that parent as an option to prevent duplicates.

Posted 12-28-2018 20:50
    When your customer begins step 2, where are they? A report, or a form? On what table?

EDIT: Ninja'd by 3 minutes

• 6.  RE: How to create a new record from a parent item and no longer display that parent as an option to prevent duplicates.

Posted 12-28-2018 21:05
    I think we just need to hire someone to figure this out.  Do you do consulting?

• 7.  RE: How to create a new record from a parent item and no longer display that parent as an option to prevent duplicates.

Posted 12-28-2018 21:36
    It is very simple to do with script. Feel free to contact me off-world using the information in my profile:

https://getsatisfaction.com/people/dandiebolt">https://getsatisfaction.com/people/dandiebolt">https://getsatisfaction.com/people/dandiebolt

• 8.  RE: How to create a new record from a parent item and no longer display that parent as an option to prevent duplicates.

Posted 12-28-2018 22:44
    Yes, Scott, I do consulting.
    Mark Shnier
    QuickBaseCoach.com