Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Creating fields by importing from Excel

Posted 11-20-2018 16:43
    Hi, I want to import from Excel to create new fields in a table, which I can do, however is there a way to control the field type it creates ? (I am not importing data at the same time, just using Excel as a vehicle to create the fields) Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Creating fields by importing from Excel

Posted 11-20-2018 16:45
    Yes, during the import dialogue screens it will guess at your field types, but you may override Quick Base's guesses.

• 3.  RE: Creating fields by importing from Excel

Posted 11-20-2018 16:50
    Hi Thanks, I understand, however that is very manual, I am looking to create a large number of fields mainly as numeric rather than text so would like to control this directly from the import. I am hoping there is a way I can define each column so it automatically "guesses" as Numeric. Hope this makes sense.

• 4.  RE: Creating fields by importing from Excel

Posted 11-20-2018 16:52
    if you do an initial upload or a few rows with dummy values which are clearly numeric, then the fields will be guesses as numeric.

Then the real import will already have the fields created and will map to those field names.

• 5.  RE: Creating fields by importing from Excel

Posted 11-20-2018 16:56
    Hi, Thanks,  I did think about that as a solution, just need to work out the right way to do so and not impact anything. I am tinkering with an existing live DB, never designed to do what is needed now :)

Many thanks,  food for thought.