Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Formula based on the number of records in a report link?

Posted 08-30-2018 18:10
    So I have a report link on a record that references back to the same table. Is there a way to build a formula based on the number of records on this report? Since it's not a relationship I can't add a summary field. I would just like to check a checkbox if there is more than one record on that report. 

My goal here is to create a warning that the part number being used has been used on this table before. I don't want to stop the duplicate from being created, but just create some sort of warning that there are other records with that same part number. 

• 2.  RE: Formula based on the number of records in a report link?

Posted 08-30-2018 20:32
    I suggest that you in fact make a relationship of the table to itself.

Make a formula field called [Part # mirror] with a formula of [Part #]

Use that field in the right side of the relationship. Then make a summary field. It will show up weird looking in the relationship, but it will work.

• 3.  RE: Formula based on the number of records in a report link?

Posted 09-06-2018 21:18
    Does the formula field have to be numeric for this to work? Because out part number fields are text due to being alphanumeric. 

• 4.  RE: Formula based on the number of records in a report link?

Posted 09-07-2018 05:45
    They do not need to be numeric, but the key field of the table would need to be set to be the Part # field.

If the key field the table is currently Record ID number and you have a never change the key field before, then I suggest making a copy of your app and practicing on a copy first.

• 5.  RE: Formula based on the number of records in a report link?

Posted 09-07-2018 19:50
    How is the part being selected? I would like to think there is a relationship in place to allow you to prevent the selection via a report applied as a form element, or to summarize and look up as an indicator for your record. Need more information. :)