Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

Are Pipelines replacing Automations?

• 1.  Are Pipelines replacing Automations?

Posted 04-30-2021 15:33
    One of our Realm Admins said he heard that Pipelines are replacing Automations and that Automations will be deprecated.  Is that true?  If so, what is the time line for the deprecation of Automations.  Lastly, if Pipelines are replacing automations are there plans to have the pipelines at the app lever rather than the user level?  Anyone with the correct permissions can edit/maintain the Automations I create, but they cannot even see the Pipelines that I create.

------------------------------
    Paul Peterson

• 2.  RE: Are Pipelines replacing Automations?

Posted 05-03-2021 11:05
    Hi Paul,

Most likely what your Realm Admin heard was the feedback that with QB to QB Pipelines now being free it is the suggested and preferred tool to use for both automation and integrations going forward. As Pipelines is a new tool and can do what automations can and more it is the focus of our future enhancements and work so it is going to outstrip automations and get more development resources. As a result we do suggest those who can move their new automation workflows to Pipelines. As part of that you will be seeing future enhancements to Pipelines not only to add new channels but also to continue to make them more user friendly and accessible. I definitely suggest that as you are using Pipelines and you find gaps like you mention where you can't edit/maintain Pipelines as easily at the app level as you can Automations to give us that feedback as it helps drive the future enhancements of Pipelines. (User experience is certainly something we talk about a lot)

If a time comes when automations do reach a retirement announcement they would follow our typical framework for retiring a feature which you can learn more about right here.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quickbase

• 3.  RE: Are Pipelines replacing Automations?

Posted 05-03-2021 16:56
    Evan,

Thank you for your response.  One of my biggest issues with Pipelines is the glaring lack of documentation on Pipelines, and as my Hydraulics/Pneumatics professor for years gone by was fond of saying, the current documentation creates a negative pressure, at least in my opinion.  I am currently working long hours and do not have much free time to search through the community and university to find out how to make Pipelines do what I need to replace my current automations.

Paul Peterson

• 4.  RE: Are Pipelines replacing Automations?

Posted 05-04-2021 10:51
    Hi Paul,

We have heard that feedback from out customers and we are working on more collected resources for Pipelines, and specifically for how you can replace Automations with Pipelines. We made a collection of helpful resources for QB to QB Pipelines in our recent announcement on QB channel Pipelines being free that might be helpful for finding specific resources right here just down under the resources header while you are waiting for our future resources to get published. If you have any specific issues or documentation needs around Pipelines I'm happy to take that feedback so I can pass it on when we work on our Pipelines documentation as well.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quickbase

• 5.  RE: Are Pipelines replacing Automations?

Posted 05-04-2021 13:11
    Evan,

Thank you for the link.  Looks like that will help get e good start.

Paul Peterson