Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  url formula to add parent to child record and update parent record

Posted 06-08-2015 19:12

Hello,

I have a customer support tracking application. Clients will call in to the helpdesk and those help desk employees will "create a new phone call". When they open the phone call record the timer starts and when the save the phone call the timer stops. This is our way of tracking phone call times and resolution times. Help desk employees are also able to add a new support ticket (parent record) from the phone call (child record) screen by choosing the record picker and clicking "add new". 

This works okay. But the issue is when they have already filled out all the client information on the phone call screen and they try to add a ticket (parent record) the ticket does not pull the phone call information up-stream. They have to re-select the client and everything. Is there a way to create a url formula to add a parent record that will also automatically select the client (by key field) and any other information? I am not very well versed in URL formulas. I have done them before but they were fairly simple ones. I am not sure where to even begin with this one.

The biggest thing we need is that when they click the Add record button the phone call screen can not save yet because we need the timer to keep running. So i need this add record button to open a pop up window with the phone call information populating up-stream. Any advice on how to begin this process would be much appreciated. 

Here is some additional info:

Tables:

Ticket

Phone calls

Thank you so much!

• 2.  RE: url formula to add parent to child record and update parent record

Posted 06-08-2015 20:08
    I would recommend a modified approach.  Since the Users are usually adding Child records first, have a button which Adds the Child Record, Saves it and automatically Redirects the User into the Record in EDIT mode.  This way you have your Record ID#.  Then when the User needs to add the Parent-Record from inside the Child; it will launch in a new window; the User can populate the Parent Record and Save it; and it will auto-join to the Child.  Then your User can Save the Child record.

If you are tracking [Date Created] and [Last Modified] as your time-frame for the calls; this should still work just fine since your [Last Modified] will pickup the last save action on the Child and the [Date Created] would be the instance they added the Child.

• 3.  RE: url formula to add parent to child record and update parent record

Posted 06-08-2015 21:03
    Hmm, this is a possibility but the system is not going off of last modified it goes off of a formula field i created because phone calls also have child records called additional phone calls which also tabulate time. All of these times are then added together to give me the total call time.

Could i not create a URL formula that just pulls the data from the child record into the parent? IE if client ID #1 is selected changed ticket client to ID#1, etc...?

Another issue is that not all phone calls result in ticket creation, only some do.

How would i go about creating the formula you reference above?

• 4.  RE: url formula to add parent to child record and update parent record

Posted 06-08-2015 21:30
    The problem you have is that you cannot create a record and link it to a record that you haven't yet saved; because you do not yet know the Record ID.  This can be achieved with some javascript or non-native solution.

You would need to contact me offline for help with the formula I suggested.  Bear in mind that this formula doesn't require you to add the Parent; but it gives you the flexibility to add the Parent while remaining in the Child if you need to.  It's 5.30 here, so tomorrow morning would be a good time to reach me.  Click on my profile for all my contact info.

• 5.  RE: url formula to add parent to child record and update parent record

Posted 04-24-2017 22:42
    What's the code for this?

• 6.  RE: url formula to add parent to child record and update parent record

Posted 04-25-2017 01:47
    Code for what?