Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  how do I restrict a text field to be filled out on the answer to a previous field?

Posted 07-25-2017 20:51
    I have a multiple choice field for "type" in which I have two options: Individual or Project. Only if a person chooses "Individual" do I want the ability for them to answer the next couple of fields such as Individual Name, Age, Etc. Is there a way to have these fields greyed out as default, but open and available to complete if Individual is selected for "Type?

• 2.  RE: how do I restrict a text field to be filled out on the answer to a previous field?

Posted 07-25-2017 21:01
    Yes,
    Explore Dynamic zform Rules in your firm setup,

For example

When Type is Individual

Show First name
    Show last name
    Require First name
    Require Last name.

• 3.  RE: how do I restrict a text field to be filled out on the answer to a previous field?

Posted 07-25-2017 21:03
    You'll need to setup a Form Rule to either show/hide those fields. You can find the setup instructions here:
    http://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/default.html#form_rules.html%3FTocPath%3DCreate%2520and%25...

• 4.  RE: how do I restrict a text field to be filled out on the answer to a previous field?

Posted 07-26-2017 16:43
    Yes, perfect. Thank you. I had not used dynamic rules before so this opens up a whole new world of opportunities for design. Thank you for your time.

• 5.  RE: how do I restrict a text field to be filled out on the answer to a previous field?

Posted 07-27-2017 03:45
    Just be careful with grid edit because it is a serious loophole that will not follow dynamic form rules (since they are, by their very definition, tied to a specific form), and so your users will be able to create invalid data by bypassing the form, if you let them. The problem with grid edit is that it is so very helpful and useful in so many situations. My sincere hope is that QuickBase development is working on a way to move the data validation rules into their own separate area within the platform, so that they are no longer tied to forms. That way, grid edit and imports and API calls will not be allowed to cause any problems.