Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Automation Create Tasks from Triggering User not Developer

Posted 10-20-2019 07:15
    I have an automation that runs when my team hits "win" in a CRM app.  It auto triggers the creation of tasks to various team members for paperwork needs, scheduling needs, etc. with respect to successfully closing a project.

All of the tasks the automation created were generated with me (as the developer) as the triggering person in lieu of the person that hit the "win button"  How do I change that logic?  If John hits win I hit John to be the record owner on all of the tasks in the automation.

------------------------------
    Ivan Weiss

• 2.  RE: Automation Create Tasks from Triggering User not Developer

Posted 10-20-2019 11:33
    I think that you would be better served by having a user field for [ Assigned to].  You can default it to the current user, but when Auto Created by an Automation you will be able to populate it with  the [Last Modified by] of  Automation triggering record.  

I don't think that you can modify the [Record Owner]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Automation Create Tasks from Triggering User not Developer

Posted 10-20-2019 12:31
    I do have Assigned To as another field. I have notifications set for whoever creates the task so they get updates. Because the automation defaults to me, I get all the notifications. Not the user that created the task. This button creates 12 tasks so I was trying to avoid using a rich text button with code. Easier to manage with automation. But I cant have the task originate from me as the developer.

Ivan Weiss

• 4.  RE: Automation Create Tasks from Triggering User not Developer

Posted 10-20-2019 12:52
    Then I suggest you create a User field called [Who to Notify} and use that in your Notifications.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Automation Create Tasks from Triggering User not Developer

Posted 10-20-2019 17:12

But how would the automation populate that? I have a field like that as a list user formula field with the record owner, assigned to field, and a list user field of additional followers. 

the automation needs to assign the sending user as one of these notifiers

Ivan Weiss

• 6.  RE: Automation Create Tasks from Triggering User not Developer

Posted 10-20-2019 17:47
    "how would the automation do that"

you would create a field for the automation to populate which would default to the current user so that when a record was created manually it would default to the current user. However if the automation creates the record it would use the last modified field and populate that field. Then you would include user that field in your list formula

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Automation Create Tasks from Triggering User not Developer

Posted 10-22-2019 00:14
    Hi Ivan,

Automation by default fires with the person who created it or by admin account. The best practices to achieve this is by creating a user field in the destination table. Example : Win Triggered By   ( Type User()). In the automation, Pass the value of current User into this field. 

Any of your further triggering, notification rules should use the user field "Win Triggered By"

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Bob

Babi Panjikar

• 8.  RE: Automation Create Tasks from Triggering User not Developer

Posted 10-22-2019 19:19
    Thanks Bob.  That is really unfortunate it works that way but I appreciate the workaround.  I already had a tasks table and needed to fix it to accommodate this.  So I just did and hopefully (fingers crossed) it does and I caught all of the areas that are affected.

Ivan Weiss

• 9.  RE: Automation Create Tasks from Triggering User not Developer

Posted 10-22-2019 23:30
    Glad that this helped you achieve the desired outcome.

Babi Panjikar