Discussions

Expand all | Collapse all

How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Casameira Reyes05-31-2017 20:08

Casameira Reyes05-31-2017 21:05

• 1.  How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 18:44
    I am trying to send an email when a field is below a certain percentage. I have tried when below 85 or 85% but it isn't working. The field is a formula field. 

• 2.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 19:19
    Notifications fire when a record is saved and some conditions are true.  They do not fire though the passage of time or when a summary field changes due to changes in its children.

However, a Subscription report will work.  That will run each night and typically be delivered early in the morning before 8:00 am eastern.

• 3.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 19:22

I am not trying to notify someone based on time, I am trying to notify someone based on a percentage.

• 4.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 19:27
    Does the Percentage change as a result of that record being edited?  Notifications are evaluated to fire or not fire at the moment the record is saved.  They do not fire as a result of changes to other records.

BUT, perhaps this is a straight forward edit to a record and it's not firing.  The firing should be based on a field being less than .85 and not when its less than 85.  A percentage field is actually a number typically less than 1, such as 85% is really 0.85. 

• 5.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 20:08

It didn't work.

• 6.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 21:04
    So you set the notification to fire when the field was less than 0.85 and it did not work when you saved the record?

• 7.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 21:05

Yes sir.

• 8.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 21:15
    Can you describe any other Notification settings?  Are you only triggering when certain fields change?  or when certain conditions are true after the record is saved?

• 9.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 21:29
    I am only triggering it when that field is below 0.85 when added and saved. That section is a formula, I'm guessing this is the reason it isn't working.

• 10.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 21:33
    Are you having the Notification fire when a record is added or modified, or just when added?

If just when added it not fire when just editing the record.

• 11.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 21:37

Just add, this is when the scoring occurs and it's saved.

• 12.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 05-31-2017 21:42
    I would have to have a look myself to figure it out.  If you like you can contact me via the contact info at QuickBaseCoach.com and I will have a quick look.

• 13.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 06-01-2017 16:52

Yeah, I even tried creating a lookup field and it isn't working.

• 14.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 06-14-2017 18:23
    was this ever resolved? I am having an issue with a formula field being calculated incorrectly for the notification.

• 15.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 06-14-2017 18:58
    I suggest putting in a support ticket. I have a look at the problem with my own eyes and I could not figure it out.

• 16.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 06-14-2017 19:18
    I have put in a support ticket to help resolve it. I am wondering if it is timing. In other words, let's say you have a field that goes out in the notification that is a formula field. This formula field has as one of its's variables something like If([Date Created]> yesterday, $1,$2). You save the record, does it wait to evaluate the formula till afte the record is saved so that date created is actually today or is [Date Created] null at that point??

• 17.  RE: How can I send a notification based on a formula field?

Posted 06-14-2017 19:31
    Formulas are fully evaluated and then the Notification decides if it need to trigger.