Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 18:51
    I suspect this is fairly easy and possibly already has an answer in another thread, but I can't find one.

I have 2 tables (Table A and Table B) linked together through a third table (Link Table).  I am trying to find records from Table A that are not linked to Table B.  i.e. they don't exist in the Link Table.

How can I create a report that finds the records in Table A that aren't in my Link Table?  

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 19:06
    If you create a summary report of the # of link records, then the unlinked records are the ones which have the [# of Links] = 0

• 3.  RE: Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 19:08
    So this would be on my Table A, correct?  I'll have a look.

• 4.  RE: Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 20:05
    I have tried a summary report on both my Table A and on my Link Table.  Table A doesn't give me any link details to count, the Link Table only has the records that exist in the link table (so there are no Links = 0).  I have double-checked this by creating a test record with no links.

• 5.  RE: Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 20:38
    Can you tell me the relationships between all your tables?

• 6.  RE: Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 21:12
    Three tables:

Table A has people's Names
    Table B has Activities people are involved 
    Link Table links multiple people to multiple activities

Table A is One-to-many to Link Table
    Table B is One-to-many to Link Table

I have created a test person that I haven't linked to any activities.  This record is _only_ in Table A, with no link in the Link Table.  I am trying to produce some kind of report that will tell me that this record is not in the Link table (and any others that might be similar).

• 7.  RE: Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 21:15
    I am brand-new to Quick Base (first use less than 2 months ago), so I might be looking at the wrong place when I created the Summary report you mentioned above.

• 8.  RE: Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 21:24
    Welcome to QuickBase.  It is a wonderfully flexible product.  I'm down at their Annual Convention now in Boston along with 800 other Quick Base crazed people.

It sounds like you have set it up the relationships correctly.  On the relationship between Names and the Link table, edit that relationship to create the Summary field.  It should count the number of link records for each respective Name.

• 9.  RE: Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 22:06
    Thank you! I'm sure it is very flexible but for me I'm having to relearn everything after spending the last 15 years as a SQL Server admin and things here are done differently.

I have added the relationship Summary Field and it's now reporting the value I need, thank you very much.  Reports created and the missing people found. 

Thank you.

• 10.  RE: Find record from Table A that is not linked to Table B

Posted 05-24-2017 22:15
    Great, thx for letting me know it's working!