Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

QuickBaseCoach Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach Dev./Training06-13-2019 16:09

• 1.  Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-12-2019 22:20

For years, I've embedded the Quick Base AppToken page in a frame to provide instructions around it on how to add an AppToken.  This is to make it easier to use one of my add-ons that requires an apptoken.  I even took it as far as using JavaScript to add the apptoken for the user by driving the page, thus automating the process completely.

However, recently some customers have experienced a problem where the browser refuses to show the Quick Base page in the frame (i.e. "This content cannot be displayed in a frame").  I cannot reproduce the problem using IE, Firefox or Chrome.

Does Quick Base set the X-Frame-Options to DENY in certain situations?  What else could cause this problem?

• 2.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-12-2019 22:41
    I do know that there is an option at the account level to prohibit redirects to external websites.

This was driving me crazy for hours until eventually Kirk Trachy saved me.

I�m not sure if this is related to your problem but there definitely is an account level switch for that if that helps. You need to contact support to have that Realm opened up to external redirects If that is the problem.

• 3.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-13-2019 13:44
    Thanks Mark, you're close, but it's not the redirect setting.  I found out from support that it is a setting that explicitly prevents putting any Quick Base page into a frame.  Only available from what I can see in an Enterprise account, in the Security policies section of the page, you can enable an option named "Prevent embedding in iframes".  More details on this setting in the Quick Base help page found here:

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/realm_security_policies.html

• 4.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-13-2019 16:09
    Thx for letting me know and maybe my response helped a bit.

• 5.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-14-2019 17:22
    Hey Joe/Mark - yea this is correct. The ability to put a webpage into another webpage is often considered a security risk. To meet our highest standards of security, we need this to be an option that enterprise customers can opt into when understanding the risks.

• 6.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-20-2019 19:09
    I have been trying to figure out how to do this and it would not work for me. Now I know why. It would be super helpful if there could be a main dashboard, maybe on the My Apps page, to display relevant reports from many apps that can be designed as default or per user.

• 7.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-20-2019 22:05
    Michelle,
    Are you talking about being able to have a dashboard with reports from other Quick Base apps or other websites?

• 8.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-21-2019 12:05
    Other QuickBase Apps. I have tried the url buttons, I've tried the website widget...cannot get it to display. 

• 9.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-21-2019 12:08
    Why can�t you do a web widget? What�s the symptom of the problem?

• 10.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-21-2019 12:09
    You can also use a web widget to embed a whole dashboard in a dashboard. Suffix the URL with

&ifv=1

To hide the table headers.

• 11.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-21-2019 12:18
    This is what I see when I try to embed the whole dashboard...

https://bridgethesselink.quickbase.com/db/bn8n5ff7h&ifv=1">https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1794262/RackMultipart20190621-8797-1by8upf-webdash_inline.PNG?1561119462">

• 12.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-21-2019 12:20
    This is what I get when I try to embed a report from another app..

• 13.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-21-2019 13:02
    I can�t really read what it saying in the middle of your screenshot but in any event can you post the code you were using for the web widget?

• 14.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-21-2019 16:54
    https://bridgethesselink.quickbase.com/db/bpbqfmuij?a=q&qid=1&ifv=1

If I click the box on the upper right of the web widget window it opens the report on a new page, it just won't display it on the dashboard.

The small print says bridgethesselink.quickbase.com refused to connect.

• 15.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-21-2019 17:07
    Michelle, from what you describe, and the screenshot, this is probably due to the same issue that I hit.  In that Quick Base realm, in settings in the Security policies section, the option "Prevent embedding in iframes" is probably enabled.  More details on this setting in the Quick Base help page found here:

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/realm_security_policies.html

If you can, disable (i.e. uncheck) that option and see if it solves your problem.  Let us know.  Thanks.

• 16.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-21-2019 17:59
    I agree. If you can't find that setting, put in a support ticket to have iframes enabled for your Realm.  I did not consider the possibility that they were locked out for internal Quick Base apps.

• 17.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-24-2019 17:19
    I just sent a ticket, I don't seem to have a Security Policies section to try to change that setting myself. Hopefully they can fix it and I don't get a response saying that our subscription level doesn't get that feature...

• 18.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-24-2019 17:22
    If your subscription doesn't have this feature ("Prevent embedding in iframes"), then you are experiencing a different problem than the one I encountered.

• 19.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-24-2019 17:26
    I will let you all know what the outcome is from the ticket in hopes to help anyone else with similar issues.

• 20.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-24-2019 18:32
    Support Response..."The account subscription is currently not high enough to view or change the Iframe embedding settings. As such, iframes embedding anything from Quick Base will be blank, including within Quick Base itself."

• 21.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-24-2019 18:50
    I just created a test HTML page that embeds Quick Base into a frame.  You can take the HTML below and save to a file.  Change the Quick Base account to yours, open the file in your browser, and see what happens.  If it's blocked, sounds like that setting is enabled, and you need Quick Base support to disable it.  Let us know what happens.
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Quick Base in Frame</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <p>Here is Quick Base in a frame.</p>
    <iframe height=400 src="https://YourQBaccountHere.quickbase.com"></iframe>;
    </body>
    </html>

• 22.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-28-2019 15:39
    Support was "misinformed" and let me know that it was not a manual option on my end but since I made a request they were able to enable the iframe feature within QuickBase apps :) It is now working and you have all helped create a dashboard monster ;) Thank you!!!

• 23.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-28-2019 16:05
    OK, good to know.  You can in fact embed dashboards in dashboards with that technique, so go crazy.

• 24.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-28-2019 19:39
    Thanks for the update Michelle, and great news it's now working for you.  Though, odd that if it's not an Enterprise account, why this was even an issue.

But to clarify, you stated support was "able to enable the iframe feature".  I'm assuming they disabled the feature as when enabled, it prevents any Quick Base page from being in a frame.  Just semantics I guess.

• 25.  RE: Problem Framing Quick Base AppToken Page

Posted 06-28-2019 19:46
    Yes, then they disabled the feature that prevents the page from showing in iframes. At least when you are doing it from App to App within your account, not necessarily externally. That is when you are suppose to have an Enterprise level account.