Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  I need help with mathematical formulas

Posted 04-11-2018 16:40
    I am super new to QB so please bare with me...  I created a table of sales reps and on that table has a gross amount listed.  I need to create a formula for this gross amount to be a certain percentage of gross.  I can do this very easy in Excel but how do I do mathematical formulas in QB?

• 2.  RE: I need help with mathematical formulas

Posted 04-11-2018 17:55
    Can you post an example of what you mean? Or how you would write the formula in excel? 

Quick Base Formula Functions Reference

• 3.  RE: I need help with mathematical formulas

Posted 04-11-2018 17:58
    Hi Nick, for example, something as easy as this: =SUM(G18*H18)  In this case, G18 is a dollar amount, H18 is a percentage, and I18 is the answer to the equation.

I'm super new at QB and just don't know where I can even write formulas in the system.

• 4.  RE: I need help with mathematical formulas

Posted 04-11-2018 19:14
    Hi Jeff,

Did you mean =SUM(G18:H18)? Can you please post some figures and the expected output?

Thanks,
    Gaurav

• 5.  RE: I need help with mathematical formulas

Posted 04-11-2018 18:54
    You'll need to create a new field. Go to Settings>Fields>Add New and select type Formula - Numeric. Then all you need to do is write out the calculation you want, enclosing field names in brackets.

For example, if you have a field called Gross Amount and you need 10% of that, the formula would be:

[Gross Amount] * .1

• 6.  RE: I need help with mathematical formulas

Posted 04-11-2018 19:27
    Hi Jeff, 

I think Nick gives an excellent example of how you could go about implementing the formula you are looking for. Getting started in Quick Base and learning how to make use of fields and formulas together can involve some adjustment from other programs. We do have some resource that can help you get familiar with Quick Base. We have our E-Learning resource Quick">https://university.quickbase.com/">Quick Base University which includes some videos and resources on formulas under our Intermediate level material. We also have our Formula">https://login.quickbase.com/db/6ewwzuuj?a=q&qid=6">Formula Reference guide which goes over the formula functions and their syntax for Quick Base. These two resources can help when you are beginning to build up your skills in Quick Base and tackling formulas.

Nick is correct that the first thing you need is a field created to hold that formula, that will then also display that formulas results. Then from there you can tinker and build out your formula to combine fields, run math, and many other functions depending on your needs. The key is to make sure the formula field type matches the output you want from your formula (Text for Text, Date for Date, etc). I hope these resources help as you continue on with formulas.