Forum Discussion

AmyGosz1
Qrew Trainee
2 years ago

Allow a URL button to be editable

I have a form that is used by 5 different roles for approval. After each role does their approval, it moves to the next role. At that point, the role that approved it should not be able to edit certain fields. If I do a role permission based on the approval field, then all fields become read only. If I do a form rule, I can't do one for each role as the rules conflict for making fields read only since the fields would be in each form rule. I don't want to make multiple copies of the form as that could become a maintenance nightmare. Is it possible to do a combination of role permissions and a Custom Data Rule? The role permission would make the whole form read only, but could the Custom Data Rule override that to allow certain fields to stay editable? I'm thinking the rule would state "if ANY of the following are checked

, make editable
      .  Would this work? If so, how would that be written? Or is there a better way to do this?

------------------------------
Amy Gosz

4 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger

re this:  If I do a form rule, I can't do one for each role as the rules conflict for making fields read only since the fields would be in each form rule.

You should be able to do this with Form rules. You should be able to make a separate rule for each field. Set a form rule for under what conditions that field is editable.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AmyGosz1
      Qrew Trainee

That doesn't seem possible since I can't say: If user is ICP role and ICP approved is checked -or- If user is ICM role and ICM approved is checked -or- if user is PMA role and PMA is checked -or- if user is PM and PM approved is checked, then make read only..

. Form rules do not allow for this type of logic. If ICP approves, then ICP should not be able to edit certain field, but all the other roles can....it goes up the chain and each role needs to become read only for certain fields after they have approved.

Amy Gosz
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger

OK, so when the logic is too complex then you need to make a formula checkbox field called like [OK to edit XYZ field?].

You can use the UserRoles function to evaluate the Role(s) that the user is in. 

For example

Contains(UserRoles("ID"),"12")

would be true if the current user is in Role #12.  You get the Role ID from looking at the URL when you view a Role.

Here is a link to the help on that UserRoles function.

https://login.quickbase.com/db/6ewwzuuj?a=dr&rid=201&rl=je

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com