Forum Discussion

TraceSymonds
Qrew Trainee
2 years ago

Changing Record Picker to show only current year

Hi all,
Please accept my apologies as this is probably posted somewhere but I find that if you don't know how to explain it in QB speak, you can't find your solutions in the community site.  This is one of those cases.

I have an app where "Projects" is a table.  I connect Projects to Notes, Intakes, Deliverables and other tables, Projects being the main record for everything.

Let's say I'm adding a Note in the Notes table and because of the relationship with the Projects Table, I can select the project from the Project field's record picker.  I have the picker showing the Project Name and the Project Year.  

To help my team with reducing confusion, I want to only show Projects in the record picker with a 2022 project year.  Currently, it shows everything and we use the same project names each year, which is why the project year field is important.

I thought that maybe I could do a custom rule but am lost at this point how to accomplish what I need to do.

------------------------------
Trace Symonds
Instructional Systems Designer | Career Coach | Cyclist
Presbyterian Healthcare Services
Albuquerque NM

Trace Symonds
Instructional Systems Designer
Albuquerque, NM

2021-2022 QuickBase Customer Council

2 Replies

• I knew that once I posted my message, I would go back and figure it out.  

I had to create a report under the Projects table that only has Project Name and Project Year fields.  I then had to filter records to only those with 2022 as the project year.

Works great!

Trace Symonds
    Albuquerque NM

Trace Symonds
    Albuquerque, NM

2021-2022 QuickBase Customer Council
    MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    np,
    The default behaviour of the drop down fields is to use the "Default Record Picker". That list will be unfiltered.

But you can create any report that you like  for example a report called "Used on Forms for Active Projects".  Then set the form to use that filtered report for the drop down list.

I would discourage you from taking the easy way out and making it hard coded for 2022.  "Time Waits for No Man" as they say,  and eventually I can 100% guarantee you that it will be 2023.

I suggest that you think of a better filter to use.   At a minimum you could create a checkbox field which is true when the project year matches the year of Today().   But that might mean that on January 1st the drop down list might be empty unless projects are pre-entered for the next Year.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com