Forum Discussion

AndreaJohannes
Qrew Trainee
2 years ago

Conditional Dropdowns, Cascading Dropdowns and Cascading Permissions

Howdy, 

I have a budget application. In my budget application, I have Budget Areas, Accounts, Categories, and Expenses.  I also have employees/budget managers.  Basically, I want my budget managers to enter expenses on the expenses form. When they click on Area,  I want them to see only areas that they are assigned to. Then, based on what area they choose, they can pick from a list of accounts. Based on the budget manager/area/account relationship, they see a limited number of categories.  I think I probably need to add some sort of many to many assignment table.  So for example, Mike is the budget manager for both Business Solutions and Administrative Services.  When he goes to enter Expenses, he should only be able to see these two areas.   Then, based on which area he sees, he will pick from a specific list of accounts related to that area and a specific set of categories that are related to that area/account combination. I've tried following the instructions for cascading dropdowns, as well as creating the "assignment" relationship and following the instructions in the Cascading Permissions videos and can't quite get the limitations to work the way I would like. I'm not sure if I need to do something with formulas or if I'm just haven't cascaded the correct lookups and/or using the correct reference/proxy fields in creating the conditional dropdowns.   The employee in the employee table is a user field as I was hoping to be able to use that in the roles to limit areas, etc.  I've attached the current structure -- 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks!

Andrea

------------------------------
Andrea Johannes

2 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    OK, Let's eat this elephant one bite at a time.

When they click on Area,  I want them to see only areas that they are assigned to.

A low tech solution here is to have a list user field on the Areas table and assign the area to the correct manager(s).

Then you can have a report where the assigned managers includes the current user and change the form properties to use that report for the drop down list of areas.

Then, based on what area they choose, they can pick from a list of accounts. 

You already have a Relationships where one are has many Accounts.  Great.  When they enter an expense the record will know the Area, so set the Field Properties for Related Account on the Expense table to be conditional on first selecting an Area.  
    Conditional values The values in this field depend on a selection in another field

and a specific set of categories that are related to that area/account combination

So One account has many Categories.  You should be able to set the field Property for Related Category on the Expense record to be (similar to the above)  conditional on first selecting the account. 

Conditional Drop downs are super powerful and perform really well for the user experience, so you are on the right track here. 

Post back if you get stuck.  This is really classic sweet spot stuff for Quickbase.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AndreaJohannes
      Qrew Trainee
      Thank you, I will give that a try.

Andrea

Andrea Johannes