Forum Discussion

IvanWeiss
Qrew Captain
2 years ago

Cross App Bonus Calculator

Hi everyone,

I am struggling with how to create a bonus calculator for some members of my team.  Here is my schema and what I am trying to accomplish:

• App1:  Team Elite - This is our ERP/Project Management / Project Billing App
  • App2:  eHR = Our HR app containing compensation etc.

For security reasons I keep these as two separate apps.

• Team Elite Table Structure used in this scenario
    • Projects < Opportunities < Orders < Invoices
    • Total Invoice is summarized all the way up to Project Level
    • Team Members is a table for all off our employees
  • eHR Table Structure
    • Team Members (from Team Elite) < PM Bonus (eHR app)

Now what I am trying to do is when I create a record in eHR on the bonus table for one of my Project Managers have it populate all of the projects assigned to them (there is a Project Manager field on the Projects Table related to Team Members).  For each of those projects I want the ability to add some fields or reference fields.  Here is the data I need:

• Total Job Value (can pull this data from Projects Table in Team Elite)
  • Invoiced Total (can pull this data from Projects Table in Team Elite)
  • Invoiced Last Two Quarters (can pull this data from Projects Table in Team Elite)
  • Job Status (can pull this data from Projects Table in Team Elite)
  • Estimated Profit (can pull this data from Projects Table in Team Elite)
  • Actual Profit (I want to manually add this data)

What I am trying to do is have Quick Base show me a report by Project Manager of all of the projects they are engaged in with the above fields as a column.  I would then create a formula numeric field to calculate the bonus to them (it is profit based).  The challenge I am having is the Projects table in quick base is my main table, its big.  

I dont think it is a cross app reference structure wise, and making it a sync table could work but it means I am pulling a lot of data across into a copy in another app.

What is the right structure to get this data right?  I would love for it to be real time but I guess that is not essential.

My only other thought was to set a pipeline that would run quarterly and populate records in the eHR app but that sounds clunky to me.

------------------------------
Ivan Weiss

3 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    Are these two apps already cross linked into one "Process".  Like if you go to the home page of the app and suffix with ?a=ListExternalDependencies to see if they are already linked.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew #1 Challenger
      If there are no dependencies now then I certainly agree that you do not want to casually cross-link your applications because that can affect performance.

My suggestion is that Connected Sync tables are incredibly efficient.   They can do very large tables with hundreds of thousands of records and they have minimal impact on performance while they are refreshing.  

I would just make a Sync table of whatever you need for just the fields you need.   I'm sure for bonus purposes the information is pretty stable as it is by its nature "retrospective".

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        IvanWeiss
        Qrew Captain
        Okay I did go this route with the sync table.  Thanks Mark!

Ivan Weiss