Forum Discussion

DianeSinawi1
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Fields not populating from parent table for certain roles with View permissions

Hi, 
I have a form in a table "Documents". It has some fields that pull from a parent table "Tasks". In the Document form, the Associated Task field is multiple choice, with other Task lookup fields auto-populating when Associated Task is selected.

I also setup an Add Document link in the Task form - when link is used, it opens Add Document form, and the Associated Task field in Document form auto-populates along with the other Task lookup fields.

We have several other roles where we need to limit edit ability in both Documents and Tasks forms. We don't want these roles to edit the Associated Task field in the Document form.

Our goal is for Administrator role to make Tasks for the other roles - those roles would select Add Document from within their assigned Task, upload a file to the Document record, then mark their Task as complete.

We need the Task info to auto-populate in Document records so related task info is associated with each Document record, and we don't want the other roles picking the task info - they just need to view it in the Document record.

The problem is that if I set Associated Task field permissions for the other roles to View, then none of the Task info populates in the Document form - it only populates if we set the Associated Task field to Modify.

Is there a way for that data to populate in Document form when permissions are set to View?

Here is the Add Document form from Administrator role view (full permissions), with Task fields auto-populated:

Here is same form from other role view with all Task fields set to View only:

Appreciate any help you can give.
Thank you.

------------------------------
Diane Sinawi

9 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    I suggest simply making the field for the related task on the documents FORM Properties be set to read only.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DianeSinawi1
      Qrew Member
      If I set Related Task to View, nothing pulls through. If I instead set Task Title field ('Associated Task' is the custom label for this field), which is the proxy for Related Task, to View, it works but the Associated Task (Task Title) field is editable, which we don't want.

Diane Sinawi
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger
        Don't set it to View permissions.  Just adjust the Form Properties for the field to be "Read Only".

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com