Forum Discussion

HamzaGHALLABI
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Multi-select Text

Hi there,

Question 1:
I would like your feedback on making a "multi-selection text" field from the result of another field or a calculated formula.
Example1 :
The client owns a machine producing 12 kilos per week. Depending on how many days of the week the machine is working, we can conclude the production per day. So from the number of days of operation of the machine (which will be field by the user), I would like to have a "multi-selection text" field with: Default value: 12/[number of days of operation of the machine], other values (...)
Example2:
The user fills in a "multi-selection text" field containing 12 fruits. He chooses 3 fruits. In another section, I would like to give him the choice between the 3 chosen fruits in another "multi-selection text" field.
PS: I have already read some solutions by creating tables and linking them to answer this question. This is not a solution for me since for each project I can have up to 40 variables that if I create a table for each it will take up to 3h of work per week and an unoptimized dataset on which nobody cannot work later.

Question 2:
Can we restrict the "Allow users to create new choices" option to certain roles?

Question 3:
Is there any documentation on the "From another field" input type?

------------------------------
Hamza GHALLABI

4 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger

I think that the use of the multi select  field type will not meet any of your needs,  you cannot restrict adding choices by Role anD you cannot easily use it to control the drop down choices in a subsequent  multiple choice field. 

Can you describe further the business need and maybe there is another solution. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      HamzaGHALLABI
      Qrew Member
      Thanks Mark for the response.
      I will give an example:
      We sell very specific machines which depend on the number of products the machines will have to produce; per day and per week.
      The (commercial) user will have to fill in a numeric field with the number of products per week.
      We don't know how many days the machine will work per week. Most of the time it is 4 days.
      The field I want to create should give the user a choice between; [how many products per week]/4, and manual classification.
      A simple way I thought of is a yes or no question (the machine will produce [how many products per week]/4 per day). Otherwise to display and ask to fill in another field. This will need to be done for about 13 fields, which means at least 26 new fields. This is not optimal from a dataset perspective.
      My question is about the possibilities of a "multi-select field" combined with a formula or another field.

Hamza GHALLABI
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger
        I think that the solution will involve tables and probably conditional drop downs but someone may need to talk to you one on one to help sort out a solution that will work well for the users.

I don't have enough information from your description of the business need to offer more detail for a suggested solution.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
    DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Are you building a Product Configurator?   This is a potential customer building the specification for a machine that you will sell?

The back end architecture gets complicated but if you want it to be easy on the End User, you need a table system and the conditional rules that will let them configure the machine.  

The native multi choice text box is very limiting.  I do not use them anymore for even very simple data options like Yes/No.

Don Larson