Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  QR code to add new record

Posted 05-24-2023 21:40

Hello everyone,

I have a table that stores equipment items, and there's a field that stores a QR code for each item. These QR codes are also printed on labels and affixed to their corresponding equipment item.

Users perform inspections on these equipment items daily. The goal is to have users walk up to a piece of equipment and scan it, and this would launch the inspection form in QB in add mode, with the equipment item already filled out or selected.

I know that we can already accomplish this with the QB app. However, many users will not be registered QB users simply because it's pointless to add them and pay for a license when all they'll ever do in QB is fill out these forms. Since they won't be registered users, they won't be able to use the app.

Note that we already have the relevant table available to "Everyone on the internet". We just need to be able to incorporate the scanning functionality.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

------------------------------
    Juan Solorio

• 2.  RE: QR code to add new record

Posted 05-24-2023 21:49

If you have that table set with Permission to Add for the EOTI Role, then they should be abe able to scan a QR code to Add Record.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: QR code to add new record

Posted 05-24-2023 22:09
    Edited by Juan Solorio 05-24-2023 22:12

Hi Mark,

Non-registered users will be accessing the form via a link. Unfortunately, the scanning icon does not show up for them when the user doesn't have the app installed. It forces them to select from the drop-down list.

Juan Solorio

• 4.  RE: QR code to add new record

Posted 05-24-2023 23:48
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 05-25-2023 07:10

I'm trying to understand your question.  I think you are saying that your registered users are using the Mobile App from the App Store or Google Play and the Mobile App can scan a Bar Code or QR code to fill in a field. 

You are asking if there is a way for non users to use the Mobile App.

This forum question (by me!) was answered by the then Mobile Product Manager at Quickbase. Alice says that it's possible use the Mobile App for an EOTI user. 

I tried to do a test by scanning a QR code with my iPhone camera which would put up an Add Record Form  (?act=API_GenAddRecordForm.......  But even though the table was set up with permissions to allow the EOTI Role to View and Add records, I got blocked at the sign in page on the mobile app.

Maybe try a support ticket referencing that Forum post by the QB Product Manager, and I will keep thinking about this.   

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: QR code to add new record

Posted 05-25-2023 18:39

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, the issue is that users can only access the EOTI table through the app if they are registered users. Otherwise, they have to go through a web browser.

The web browser option would be just fine if users could scan the equipment item as was intended. However, when opening the form via a browser, the scan functionality is not there. Users are forced to select the equipment from a dropdown menu with thousands of options.

I am aware that users can just start typing in the field to limit the available options. However, we are really trying to make this as easy as possible for them to "select" the item they are inspecting by scanning it.

Juan

Juan Solorio

• 6.  RE: QR code to add new record

Posted 05-25-2023 19:04

I suggest a support ticket and reference in your ticket, the community post by the mobile product manager. 

Let us know if they have a way!!

mark.shnier@gmail.com