Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Removing duplicates from a textlist

Posted 08-29-2022 09:12
    Hello!

Was hoping I can get help with this problem.

I'm using a query formula to get a list of emails from another unrelated table and it works just fine, however, it gives me duplicates which i'd like to get rid of somehow. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

example textlist:
    brucewayne@email.com ; theflash@email.com ; brucewayne@email. com ; brucewayne@email. com ; theflash@email.com; theflash@email.com ; superman@email.com

desired outcome:
    brucewayne@email.com ; theflash@email.com ; superman@email.com

I can either make a new field to get the desired outcome or perhaps there's a way for me to stop duplicates on the query formula?

• 2.  RE: Removing duplicates from a textlist

Posted 08-29-2022 10:47
    The trick is to flag the source record with a flag on the source record as to it its's the Record with the lowest Record ID# of all its "brothers".

I can help with the syntax if need be but pull a text list Query within the source table to pull back all the records with the same email address as the record.  Pull in the value of Field ID # 3 which is the Record ID#. into a text list query result then convert to regular text and hive off the leftmost value.  That will be the lowest record # of all the brothers with the same email address.  Then have an IF statement formula to check if the Record ID# of the brother is the lowest one and if so flag it as OK to pull.

The adjust your current formula query to only pull in ones that are flagged as being OK to pull.​​

------------------------------
    Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Removing duplicates from a textlist

Posted 09-19-2022 15:51
    I like your solution for removing duplicates, but now I have on that is more complicated.  My formula query pulls text values from it's sibling records where we might have a list like this:

red
    blue
    green
    green
    blue
    red
    red

I want my formula query result to be:

red; blue; green

not 

red; blue; green; green; blue; red; red

I am basically trying to use a Formula Query to get Summary field results from sibling records. 

(There is a wide ranch of variability of choices in the field in question, so I cannot call out each option individually in a formula)

Taury Anderson

• 4.  RE: Removing duplicates from a textlist

Posted 09-19-2022 15:58
    Can you post your formula query code?

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Removing duplicates from a textlist

Posted 09-19-2022 16:43
    var number field = 311;
    var text deebid = [_DBID_ITEM_DETAIL];
    var text PETfilters = "{'314'.EX.'" & [Related Project (formula)] & "'}"
    & "AND{'400'.EX.'" & [Substrate Size] & "'}"
    & "AND{'368'.EX.'" & [PET Bottle Color] & "'}"
    & "AND{'367'.EX.'" & [Label/Substrate Type] & "'}"
    & "AND{'271'.EX.'" & [Label/Substrate Supplier] & "'}"
    & "AND{'370'.EX.'" & [Closure Finish] & "'}"
    & "AND{'371'.EX.'" & [Closure Color] & "'}";
    var text CANfilters = "{'314'.EX.'" & [Related Project (formula)]&"'}"
    & "AND{'374'.EX.'" & [End/Lid Color] & "'}"
    & "AND{'163'.EX.'" & [Tab Color dropdown] & "'}"
    & "AND{'252'.EX.'" & [TabType] & "'}";
    var text GLASSfilters = "{'314'.EX.'" & [Related Project (formula)] & "'}"
    & "AND{'369'.EX.'" & [Glass Bottle Color] & "'}"
    & "AND{'367'.EX.'" & [Label/Substrate Type] & "'}"
    & "AND{'271'.EX.'" & [Label/Substrate Supplier] & "'}"
    & "AND{'371'.EX.'" & [Closure Color] & "'}";
    var text ALUMITEKfilters= "{'314'.EX.'" & [Related Project (formula)]&"'}"
    & "AND{'158' .EX. '" & [Related End/Closure] & "'}"
    & "AND{'371'.EX.'" & [Closure Color] & "'}"
    & "AND{'91' .EX. '" & "CAN" & "'}"
    & "AND{'157' .EX. '"& "BOTTLE CAN" & "'}";

var text filters = If([Primary Substrate]="PET", $PETfilters,[Primary Substrate]="GLASS", $GLASSfilters,[Primary Substrate]="CAN" and [Container Design dropdown]="BOTTLE CAN", $ALUMITEKfilters, [Primary Substrate]="CAN",$CANfilters);

var text query = ToText(GetFieldValues(GetRecords($filters, $deebid), $field));

$query

Taury Anderson

• 6.  RE: Removing duplicates from a textlist

Posted 09-19-2022 18:30
    This might work as a brute force solution.

var text RawList = ToText([My Query field with duplicates]);

var text A = Trim(Part($RawList,1,";"));

var text B = If(not Contains($A,Trim(Part($RawList,2,";"))), List("\n", $A, Trim(Part($RawList,2,";"))), $A);

var text C = If(not Contains($B,Trim(Part($RawList,3,";"))), List("\n", $B, Trim(Part($RawList,3,";"))), $B);

var text D = If(not Contains($C,Trim(Part($RawList,4,";"))), List("\n", $C, Trim(Part($RawList,4,";"))), $C);

var text E = If(not Contains($D,Trim(Part($RawList,5,";"))), List("\n", $D, Trim(Part($RawList,5,";"))), $D);

var text F = If(not Contains($E,Trim(Part($RawList,6,";"))), List("\n", $E, Trim(Part($RawList,6,";"))), $E);

var text G = If(not Contains($F,Trim(Part($RawList,7,";"))), List("\n", $F, Trim(Part($RawList,7,";"))), $F);

var text H = If(not Contains($G,Trim(Part($RawList,8,";"))), List("\n", $G, Trim(Part($RawList,8,";"))), $G);

var text I = If(not Contains($H,Trim(Part($RawList,9,";"))), List("\n", $H, Trim(Part($RawList,9,";"))), $H);

var text J = If(not Contains($I,Trim(Part($RawList,10,";"))), List("\n", $I, Trim(Part($RawList,10,";"))), $I);

var text K = If(not Contains($J,Trim(Part($RawList,11,";"))), List("\n", $J, Trim(Part($RawList,11,";"))), $J);

var text L = If(not Contains($K,Trim(Part($RawList,12,";"))), List("\n", $K, Trim(Part($RawList,12,";"))), $K);

var text M = If(not Contains($L,Trim(Part($RawList,13,";"))), List("\n", $L, Trim(Part($RawList,13,";"))), $L);

var text N = If(not Contains($M,Trim(Part($RawList,14,";"))), List("\n", $M, Trim(Part($RawList,14,";"))), $M);

var text O = If(not Contains($N,Trim(Part($RawList,15,";"))), List("\n", $N, Trim(Part($RawList,15,";"))), $N);

var text P = If(not Contains($O,Trim(Part($RawList,16,";"))), List("\n", $O, Trim(Part($RawList,16,";"))), $O);

var text Q = If(not Contains($P,Trim(Part($RawList,17,";"))), List("\n", $P, Trim(Part($RawList,17,";"))), $P);

var text R = If(not Contains($Q,Trim(Part($RawList,18,";"))), List("\n", $Q, Trim(Part($RawList,18, ";"))), $Q);

var text S = If(not Contains($R,Trim(Part($RawList,19,";"))), List("\n", $R, Trim(Part($RawList,19,";"))), $R);

var text T = If(not Contains($S,Trim(Part($RawList,20,";"))), List("\n", $S, Trim(Part($RawList,20,";"))), $S);

var text U = If(not Contains($T,Trim(Part($RawList,21,";"))), List("\n", $T, Trim(Part($RawList,21,";"))), $T);

var text V = If(not Contains($U,Trim(Part($RawList,22,";"))), List("\n", $U, Trim(Part($RawList,22,";"))), $U);

var text W = If(not Contains($V,Trim(Part($RawList,23,";"))), List("\n", $V, Trim(Part($RawList,23,";"))), $V);

var text X = If(not Contains($W,Trim(Part($RawList,24,";"))), List("\n", $W, Trim(Part($RawList,24,";"))), $W);

var text Y = If(not Contains($X,Trim(Part($RawList,25,";"))), List("\n", $X, Trim(Part($RawList,25,";"))), $X);

var text Z = If(not Contains($Y,Trim(Part($RawList,26,";"))), List("\n", $Y, Trim(Part($RawList,26,";"))), $Y);

$Z

mark.shnier@gmail.com