Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Service Workers

Posted 03-15-2023 22:28
    Edited by Adis Kljajic 03-15-2023 22:29

Has anyone ever tried using Service Workers and what was the outcome on the actual user interface? I know there is a Register Service Worker phase, if it is registered once does each specific user have to register it? Or does the one time registration activate it. 

------------------------------
    Adis Kljajic

• 2.  RE: Service Workers

Posted 03-16-2023 07:05

We use Service Workers extensively by team/department.  The UI depends on the Role, ours are Admins.  We used them for everything that would break if employee left.  Webhooks, notifications, pipelines, Etc.  The password is stored in a PAM Vault (Password Access Management).  The usage is limited to just a few admins/service worker in our case.  Once setup it is pretty simple for us.  I don't manage the realm so I cant speak to set up on the back end.  

Greg

• 3.  RE: Service Workers

Posted 03-17-2023 10:13

I think Adis is asking about this below and Greg is referring to a "Service Account". 

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Service_Worker_API

But I'm not certain. 

We do not use Service Workers at this time. 

Dan Diebold wrote about them several years ago and he was pretty excited. I looked at them and it is interesting but at the time I was still trying to get my head wrapped around other processes and lost interest.

I would definitely like to experiment with them and try to understand their benefits and detractors. 

If you get into them, I would like to hear about your experience and any advice on what not to do.

Jim Harrison
    transparency = knowledge + understanding : The Scrum Dudes

• 4.  RE: Service Workers

Posted 03-17-2023 13:51

As far as I know, the service workers hack is dead.  Attempting to create a service worker fails because they have the content security policy set to block all sources for worker scripts.

This was likely done to help prevent cross-site scripting attacks, which I think is the same reason they removed the ability to add JavaScript to rich text formulas.

Tyler Jablonski

• 5.  RE: Service Workers

Posted 03-21-2023 11:39

I came to confirm this... that it seems that this security policy is even breaking linking to just libraries such as bootstrap, font awesome... which isn't even actual service workers from what I've seen.

And I'm using these on custom code pages, not even some IOL JS "hacking" type techniques.

Ryan Stanford

• 6.  RE: Service Workers

Posted 03-21-2023 12:23

Yes it appears a lot of these techniques have been disabled or are prevented by the Security Policy. 

Adis Kljajic