Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Text Multiline Cannot be used for notification triggers?

Posted 08-10-2022 12:44
    I have a proposal review system that is set to notify people when the status changes on the proposal to flag them it is ready for their review.....

However, I want to also send an email if the comments area changes (i.e. someone asks a question).  but, unless I am missing something, I cannot use a text multi-line (with logging) field as a trigger for additional criteria in a notification?

Any ideas how to get around this?  I had it on a blanket when modified setting and it was firing off WAY too many emails quickly.

------------------------------
    Ivan Weiss

• 2.  RE: Text Multiline Cannot be used for notification triggers?

Posted 08-10-2022 12:58
    Why do you feel that that type of field cannot be used to fire a notification?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Text Multiline Cannot be used for notification triggers?

Posted 08-10-2022 15:01
    It does not appear on the list of available fields in additional criteria

Ivan Weiss

• 4.  RE: Text Multiline Cannot be used for notification triggers?

Posted 08-10-2022 17:00
    It should appear. One thing I find is that if I have a lot of fields, I think they are in alphabetical (or some convenient order), but then I find my field randomly placed in a spot I wasn't looking. Carefully look at all the fields, particularly towards the end of the list or in a spot you wouldn't expect it. It should be there.

If not, then something else is going on, as my multi line fields do appear.

Mike Tamoush

• 5.  RE: Text Multiline Cannot be used for notification triggers?

Posted 08-12-2022 14:39
    I have checked this 3 or 4 times and it is not there.  Does turning on logging prevent it from being usable for this function?

Ivan Weiss

• 6.  RE: Text Multiline Cannot be used for notification triggers?

Posted 08-12-2022 14:44
    Ahh. I think you solved it. I just looked, and the multi line fields I have logging on, also do NOT appear in the list. So yes, it appears turning on logging does in fact prevent it from being used.

Maybe you can have a non logged field, with a dynamic form rule 'when record is saved, change Non logged field to value in logged field? And use that non logged field in the notification? It will recognize a change, but I dont think the non logged field will have all the text in it.

Mike Tamoush

• 7.  RE: Text Multiline Cannot be used for notification triggers?

Posted 08-12-2022 15:22
    Just make a mirror field with the formula equal to the logged field and then it will appear as a choice.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Text Multiline Cannot be used for notification triggers?

Posted 08-13-2022 07:08
    Okay great.  Now is there a way to make a notification fire only if another field DOES NOT change?

The reason is that I want to fire the notification when comments are added to this field and everyone here gave me some great workarounds.

There are a series of approval buttons that automatically add a note in this field to say Approved By....

When that happens an email is generated as it fires off the notice to the next inline to review the proposal.

However, if the status DOES NOT change I want this other notification to fire off so that people know comments were added.

Ivan Weiss