Forum Discussion

KathyDever
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Update field with most current data from another related table.

I have a table called Outsourcing and a related table called Invoices. The Invoices table just has a date and $ amount listed in the table as a history on the Outsourcing record.

I have 2 fields in Outsourcing named Last Date Invoiced and Last Amount Invoiced that are currently just manually entered data.  No relation to the Invoice table fields.

I would like the Last Date Invoiced and Last Amount Invoiced fields in Outsourcing to contain the date and amount of the most recent record in the Invoices table so we don't need to update this information in 2 places.

We are very basic Quickbase users and I have no idea how to make this happen.  I have written very basic formulas, but just don't know where to even start on this.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

------------------------------
Kathy

4 Replies

• Hi Kathy! I have been building on Quickbase for only a few months now but to me it seems like a simple pipeline would work.

I don't know if you have started playing with them but there are some good resources on the University. 

You could tell the pipeline to update the fields in the table with the most recent values added. 

The pipelines are fairly user friendly.  Hope this helps!

Ryan Broderick
      RyanBroderick
      Qrew Trainee
      I forgot to note that you will basically tell the pipeline to add/or update whatever field you want when a change is made. Or you can set it up when new values are added. Whatever works best for your situation.

Ryan Broderick
    DwightMunson1
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    I personally would build a summary field for Max Record ID# from the invoices table.
    Then pass that back to the invoices as a lookup.
    Then create two summary fields for date and amount and filter for that Max Record ID#. 

The pipeline would work too, just in a different way.​

Dwight Munson
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew #1 Challenger
      Yes, summary field is the way to go,​ no need for the complexity of a pipeline, or concern that a Pipeline  may fail.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com