Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  URL Field Column TOO WIDE on Dashboard

Posted 08-15-2022 15:38
    Howdy, I have a table of Zooms that I add notes to, and for the Zoom group I'm in. 

When I click on my App Table for the Zoom videos, the URL field is nice and small in width. Perfect!

Now I decided to make a report and added this report Widget to the dashboard for myself & the group, and it shows the Zooms & notes. BUT I can't get the URL field to shrink in size, just on the dashboard. Is there a way I can do this? 

I do like that when I use a report I get an update icon to the left, that lets me know that someone submitted an update.

------------------------------
    Bob T.

• 2.  RE: URL Field Column TOO WIDE on Dashboard

Posted 08-15-2022 15:53
    I suggest that since the actual link text is not really human useful, I would put in a "Link Text" for the  URL field properties.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: URL Field Column TOO WIDE on Dashboard

Posted 08-15-2022 16:11
      |   view attached
    Thanks Mark, I tried that and it does work, but I really don't like that. I think the other users will not be as apt to click on the link. As it is now, you can right click the link after copying the passcode and immediately start watching the video.

Bob T.

• 4.  RE: URL Field Column TOO WIDE on Dashboard

Posted 08-15-2022 16:29
    Are you saying there is some difference between clicking words like zoom link versus clicking that long ugly URL?  Or are you just saying that the users will have to get used to clicking on a different looking link.  Of course you can make the words more instructional like "Click here to watch video"

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: URL Field Column TOO WIDE on Dashboard

Posted 08-15-2022 18:06
      |   view attached
    Mark, 

I just want the table to look like the table on the dashboard. I should be able to fix the width of the  column 'field' on the dashboard.

This looks decent & you can read all the notes people leave. The URL column is pretty in my opinion, but I have built over 100 psychology therapists websites since 2008, so I'm partial to them. The alternate text method does shrink it, but why can't I just have my cake and eat it too, by making the decreasing the column width? Excel spreadsheet people do this all the time.

Bob T.

• 6.  RE: URL Field Column TOO WIDE on Dashboard

Posted 08-16-2022 08:22
    The dashboard uses the old style table report and the wrapping behavior you prefer seems to only work on the new style report. Can you do a test on the report which is new style and has the wrapping and press the button at the top to display it as an old style report. If that report does not wrap then the issue has nothing to do with the dashboard but simply that the dashboard is using the old-style report.

One potential option is to coax a new style report onto the dashboard.

you might try putting a dashboard element of webpage and include the full URL of the report as the webpage.  Suffix the URL in &ifv=1. That will suppress the quickBase headers.

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: URL Field Column TOO WIDE on Dashboard

Posted 08-16-2022 11:14
    I reverted back to the old style and then my table also did not wrap text in the URL. I tried to use a web page URL, but I just get an 'unhappy smile' for the table. 

As long as the new style works, I will just use the report from the data table which I like the look of. 

I could make a home page and add a URL column with alternate text telling the user to right-click after copying the passcode.

I tried to figure a way to combine the passcode with the URL, so that a user could just click the URL and automatically be in the video, but I didn't see that as possible.

Bob T.