"me too" type field?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

Context for this is when an issue is tracked rather than an individual adding an entirely new line item about the same issue, they can instead click on a "me too" or +1

Photo of James

James

• 0 Points

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,204 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That would bump up a counter in the record I presume. The only issue is that you can bump the counter with a button click by calling the API and even dynamically show an incremented count on the page but you could create a situation if the page still has a remnant of information of what it incorrectly thinks the old value are. This is because QuickBase didn't design their forms to update field values without doing a full page refresh and we are bypassing that with an AJAX call.
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 69,904 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
On a me too do you want the same child record duplicated but just with a different "Complainer"
Photo of James

James

• 0 Points
Correct. Say someone sees a fixture with a broken wheel. I just want the next broken wheel input to be a +1 as opposed to multiple records for the same issue. Thanks!
Photo of Keith

Keith

• 20 Points
It seems like you could have a table for votes, and make a relationship to make that a child table to the one you are referring to. You could add a summary field to show the number of votes related to that record, and you could modify the add record button to add the record and save, rather than taking you to the edit record screen of the child record, because there wouldn't be anything for you to fill out there. Maybe you hide the embedded report, or maybe you keep it if you want to see the log of who voted for that item.

I've seen something like this as a voting mechanism in many apps. Then you could sort your ideas by votes to bring the most popular items to the top.