add records to a table based on selection in a drop down

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Wondering if it's possible to do the following.  I have 4 tables set up to handle different types of requests, based on the selection in a drop down, I want the corresponding form for that table to be presented for the user to complete.  Here's the example.  I'll keep it simple with 2 of the 4 variants.

Drop Down choices: 1. Support Request  2. Media Relations Request

If user chooses 1 then show the web form for the support request fields. 

If user chooses 2 then show web form for the media relations request fields

I know I can put all the fields in one table and create sections that I can show and hide, but that's not optimal for several reasons.  First, I have different users that need access to one table and not the other. Second, there are way too many fields as to make the table unwieldy--already I have 117 fields in the support request table and 80 in the media relations request.

Is this possible to do?  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Essentially I need a two-step form.

Thanks!

Mark
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 10 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 69,704 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Can you show / hide on whole sections or is there a lot of overlap in the fields.  If there is overlap of the fields then can the common fields be in a common section?
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 10 Points
I've thought about that, but when I build it for all 4 of the request types I am very concerned that there are just too many fields for me to be able to keep track of it.  Yes there are some common fields (ie, status, name, email) but the bigger issue is a permissions issue.  I can't have users accessing the table who could edit data in the sections they aren't permitted to work on.  By keeping them in different tables I can just assign rights to the table.  I really don't want to get into a field level permission management--especially when I am dealing with scores of fields and about 30 total users.
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 69,704 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you are going to have 4 different tables, that is fine, and that will take care of your security issues.  Note that consolidated reporting will be difficult.

You will need to think how they launch the Add New record buttons.  Perhaps 4 buttons on one dashboard or 1 button on 4 dashboard.  If you use 1 dashboard and users hit an unauthorized button, then they will get immediately blocked.  So effective, yes, but not too friendly.