Alternate Label Text in Reports?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

Is it possible to include Alternate Label Text within report headers?

Photo of Ringoparr

Ringoparr

• 844 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 65,634 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
On a Table report, while view the actual report, look for the blue drop down as you hover over the column header there will be a choice for "Column Properties".  Change the header text there.
Photo of Beth

Beth

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mark - I use this feature all the time, as I use field naming conventions that users would not always understand.  However, I just now noticed that I cannot find a way to set field labels/column headers for the Default Report.  I had not noticed it as I try to program everything to use an actual designed reports and custom columns in reports and not Default Report columns to prevent reports from getting messed up inadvertently if default settings are changed.  Now I have an App where I actually want to use the Default Report columns for a few things in order to be able to make sure the setup changes for multiple reports (the reverse goal) and not have to change every report every time I change the usual setup.    However, I cannot find any way to "display" the default report so that I can set labels.  Am I just stuck and can never use or set default custom report headers and any time someone links to records where there is no specific report set they will get "programmer" field names rather than friendly column titles?  Please tell me I am missing something!  :-)  Thanks!
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 65,634 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree that is a shortcoming of QuickBase;s current functionality.  You can put in a User Voice suggestion and the QuickBase Engineers do look at those when they are working on new features and deciding their priorities.

The only other idea I have is to make a set of formula mirror fields with a formula just equal to the Programmer name fields and use those for your Default Report.

ie, a native field like [XR_dte] would have a new new field made called [Patient X Ray Date] and the formula would be just [XR_dte]
Photo of Beth

Beth

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Mark.  I will add this to the long list of User Voice Suggestions I have been meaning to post (lol).  (I keep a running list and it actually already has on it a suggestion to add a Default Column Label or Default Friendly Field Name to the field properties.)  I actually do use the report fields concept already for other purposes.  Your suggestion will work for some of my Apps where the table schema is relatively small and I don't need the users to be able to Grid Edit from a report that uses the default columns (including drill down reports).  Unfortunately, I have some Apps with some tables with large number of data entry fields, which makes it very time consuming and a little challenging to go back and create a new "mirror" field for every one.  Plus we implement truly rapid deployment of Apps built for specific client projects and are often faced with budget constraints that would make this difficult without some sort of rapid method of setting up such fields.  Like everything in life, we can't have everything and what I like about QB still outweighs these things that annoy the heck out of me.  But thanks again for the suggestion and for the prompt response!