Are Tasks just for QB users?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

This is more of just a generic question but I'm relatively new to Quickbase so I apologize in advance.

Are Tasks meant to be used just for QB users?  I have projects where a task needs to be sent out to subcontractors to complete.  The task for my project manager (QB user) is to find an appropriate subcontractor and assign it out.  Once it's out, the subcontractor (non QB user) needs to complete their task and send it back.

I'm just trying to figure out how to set up my table structure.  Should I have just have one Tasks table that I use regardless of whether they are for internal QB users or subcontractors or have two separate tables (call them Tasks and Assignments) and arrange it that way.  Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Photo of Quickbase Generic User

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David_In_Tucson

David_In_Tucson

• 216 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It sounds like for what you describe keeping internal (users) and external (non-users) separate would be beneficial.

If your data is not especially sensitive (if it is, you would keep it to users who log in with QuickBase security) you might create a dashboard open to the whole internet (for non-logged in people) and have a look up report so that they can find "their" records -- perhaps e-mail and some user id code that is not a password, but would slow down a hacker.

This would allow non-users a way to access "their" record(s) (different codes + their e-mail -- or something) and they could upload files or fill in fields.

I trust this is useful.

- David in Tucson