Are You Attending / Presenting at Empower 2017?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Are You Attending / Presenting at Empower 2017?

The deadline to submit a presentation is December 30 (tomorrow):

https://team.quickbase.com/db/bk7g3tdfi?a=showpage&pageid=101

FWIW, for some odd reason I can't reach empower2017.com using Chrome.

SSL Report: empower2017.com (161.47.17.254) A+ Rating
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=empower2017.com
Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,044 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Every year I submit a half dozen Empower presentations to the QuickBase folks and they never get accepted. Well this year my presentations are nothing short of awesome. I guarantee you this batch of presentations will deeply impress you with what can be accomplished with QuickBase and a little script.

1) Citizen Developer Stubs Toe - PROJECT CANCELED
   A cautionary tale

2) Service Workers to the Rescue
   God mode for QuickBase

3) Asynchronicity: Man and his Scripts
   A lightweight wrapping of the QuickBase API using the async/await feature in JavaScript 

4) Form Juggling
   Manipulating QuickBase forms (admin and data entry) using script and the FormData API

5) My Little Wizard
   A simple toolkit for creating attractive GUI interfaces for script solutions

6) File Mania
   Creating, reading and manipulating files in QuickBase like you never have seen before
Photo of David

David

• 836 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
One of my favorite on-task websites:
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/empower2017.com

Can you reach it with Chrome? I think there is a minor certificate problem for which Chrome is enforcing stronger security.
Photo of David

David

• 836 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes, I could in Chrome.  I usually attribute to blacklisting or DNS problem.

I submitted my six proposed Empower presentations today with abstracts which I am sure will be summarily rejected. So feel free to contact me directly if you are interested in these topics as all of these techniques work today. 

Happy New Year Everyone!

1) Title: Citizen Developer Stubs Toe - PROJECT CANCELED

Subtitle: A Cautionary Tale

Abstract: The marketing landscape is abuzz promoting the benefits of Citizen Developers and Low Code solutions. Shorter development cycles, decreased development costs are cited as the primary benefits of employing Citizen Developer technologies. This presentation provides a sober analysis of where the true benefits of Citizen Developer methodology lie and where coded solutions may be nevertheless required during the life-cycle of a project.

2) Title: Service Workers to the Rescue

Subtitle: God Mode for QuickBase

Abstract: A new technology is landing in Browsers called Service Workers which enable a wide range of new capabilities (eg caching, notifications, background syncs etc). In this presentation will will present a less frequently used feature of Service Workers call a "network proxy" which allows you to gain complete control over network requests for QuickBase pages and resources (eg JavaScript, CSS files). Service Workers allow you to intercept and modify network requests before the request is made available for rendering by the browser. Similar to the IOL (Image On Load) and BOL (Browser On Load) techniques, Service Workers give you the ability to safely inject user defined JavaScript into every page of your account. Best practices for using Service Workers with QuickBase will be presented for convenient and secure usage. Several live examples will be demonstrated and source code templates will be made available.

3) Title: Asynchronicity: Man and his Scripts

Subtitle: A Lightweight Wrapping of the QuickBase API using the Async/Await Feature in JavaScript (ES7) 

Abstract: QuickBase users have generally been using the QuickBase API in their browser in conjunction with either (1) QuickBaseClient.js or (2) jQuery. However, there have been tremendous developments in JavaScript that make both of these approaches less than ideal - the QuickBaseClient.js library is synchronous and the bulk of jQuery AJAX capabilities have been naively implemented in the browser's JavaScript engine. This presentation will walk through the various asynchronous techniques that have emerged as successive best practices: (1) callbacks, (2) promises, (3) generators and (4) async/await. With support for the ES7's async/await landing in browsers now and expected to be complete by the date of the Empower conference we will demonstrate the advantages of using these new features. Several live examples will be demonstrated and source code templates will be made available.

4) Title: Form Juggling

Subtitle: Manipulating QuickBase Forms using Script and the FormData API

Abstract: QuickBase users invest a lot of time building up complex forms that suit their unique workflows and policies. During the life-cycle of an application it is not uncommon where a change, new requirement or accidental deletion my require the form to be rebuilt or applied to another table. This process can be both time consuming and error prone as hundreds of form configuration details need to be manually set up. Additionally, there are cases where a form needs to be created with a repeating structure to match as set of fields. This presentation will demonstrate how using simple script and the FormData API you can create a new form or take an existing form and modify, clone or transfer it to a new table under script control. Several live examples will be demonstrated and source code templates will be made available.

5) Title: My Little Wizard

Subtitle: A Simple Toolkit for Creating Attractive GUI Interfaces for Script Solutions

Abstract: Over the years the QuickBase community has been used several Wizard utilities (eg Form, Copy Master Detail, Recurring Task etc) to perform common administration and development tasks. These Wizard utilities have generally lagged in support and rely on technology that has become dated. This presentation offers a simple way to rapidly develop attractive Wizard interfaces using modern frameworks such as jQueryUI, Bootstrap and Foundation and libraries (jQuery, Underscore, AccountingJS, MomentJS etc) to perform a wide variety of tasks. Best practices, styling and security issues will be covered. Several live examples will be demonstrated and source code templates will be made available.

6) Title: File Mania

Subtitle: Creating, Reading and Manipulating Files like you never have seen before

Abstract: The average QuickBase user knows that files can be saved in a file attachment field and that files can be imported into tables. This is probably the limit of what the average QuickBase user can do with files. However, advances in JavaScript APIs now allow files to be read, created, converted and otherwise manipulated of the fly. This presentation will cover several APIs (File Object, FileReader, FileList, DataURI, Blobs, ObjectURLs, FormData etc) and techniques to perform these types of file manipulations within QuickBase. Several live examples will be demonstrated with an emphasis on how file manipulations can dynamically improve your QuickBase workflow and integration.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan

• 60 Points
I would love to hear all your speeches(my company might send me next year), you should do some udemy courses. Did any of these get approved? I am hoping to do some talking for Empower one of these times. I still feel like a need a little more time to crack QuickBase, though I don't think they like us injecting code lol. I plan on finishing my API with C# Core, then using web razor in the same manner as the service workers, the benefit is I can use our servers to provide the user with the data, and don't need to install the Service Workers. Given my co-workers, and the restrictions from our parent company the service workers will be next to impossible to do.

I think QuickBase decides the presentations on January 20th - although last year they neglected to inform people if their presentation was not accepted.

> ... I don't think they like us injecting code ...

I think they have three legitimate concerns over injected code:

(1) injected code may break unexpectedly if some small detail in QuickBase's codebase changes with a new release.
(2) injected code may interfere with QuickBase's normal operation (especially if you are doing direct DOM manipulation).
(3) general security concerns (XSS, CSRF etc). This isn't that big of an issue as most QuickBase applications are behind a login and permitted to trusted employees. There would be much easier ways for a rogue user to attack your application than to inject script.

All of these concerns can be adequately addressed. But it is a loosing battle to oppose using script with QuickBase. The innovations and capabilities script gives you are growing exponentially while native product features are growing linearly.
Photo of Nathan

Nathan

• 60 Points
I wish they would just add a javascript console in each form and in each application, embrace the coders, don't just sell your application for "everybody" when they know darn well that when an application begins to grow, it will grow in complexity. I am a full-time programmer, and some of my applications give me pause in what its doing (not to say I am better than anyone, just that I have been trained in data science, understanding data process flow, and how databases function is my specialty). I understand their concerns, I for one will not host JS outside of my QuickBase applications and make sure all my elements are inside as well, (either in pages or stored in our central application), from a security standpoint, the only bad actor I have to worry about is an internal user. People for the most part hopefully won't pull code from outside. Well, I do still hope that if you don't get to present your topics, you turn to Udemy, I think people would benefit from those courses.