Associating records from child table to master table

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I'm trying to create an enhancement to my application and have created a new table which serves as the master table to a pre existing table. The master table, "Providers", is related to the child table, "Schools" where a Provider can be associated with many Schools.I have it set up where on the Provider form I can Add Schools but that isn't what I want to do. I'd like to be able to select a School from the preexisting values and have it added to the provider record. I also need to be able to add another school for the provider if the need arises. Is there any way I can select records from the child table and have them associated with the master table?
Photo of Niraj

Niraj

• 0 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
So this is really a "many to many" situation.

One school can have Many Providers. But of course, One Provider has Many schools.

To do this you set up a third table called perhaps School Provider Assignments. Each one of those will have two parent records, ie a School and a Provider. Other than the Related School and Related Provider and any lookup fields you choose to bring down, that table will actually have no data entry fields.

Then on the Schools record you can have an embedded report of its Providers and on the Providers record you can have an embedded report of Schools. The embedded reports are done with the Report Link field which QuickBase will make for you when you set up those new relationships to the middle table.

Feel free to post back if you get stuck.
Photo of Niraj

Niraj

• 0 Points
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help, this makes sense. I do have an additional question for clarity.

Currently, the schools table is complete and has over 140 records within it. The providers table is the new table and does not have any records within it currently. When providers are added how am I able to associate the providers with their school? Quickbase only gives me the option to add a school or select one related school for the provider? How am I able to select a School or a School Provider Assignment and then, in the future, go back to select more?

I appreciate your help!
Photo of Niraj

Niraj

• 0 Points
I just re read your answer and it makes sense to me now! Thanks for your help.